Question HP Omen Obelisk 875-0034 - upgrade options

Oct 16, 2020
Hello, I've been reading Tom's Hardware Guide since the late 90's. Built my first computer in 92' with the help of a friend and kept upgrading from then on. Until recently, when I purchased an HP Omen Obelisk system. This has the I7-9700 with 16gb ram (upgraded to 32gb, a 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD.

I have started flying Microsoft's new FS 2020 and am need of more space in SSD format. The 256 is now full with the operating system and 150gb of the game.

I purchased a 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus and tried installing it. The bios does not see it and I wonder if it will or not (if I knew what I was doing). I created a copy of the SSD to boot from and that worked as expected. I also did an image of the boot drive for the reinstall once the new 1TB SSD is installed.

Looking into the case it is a Micro ATX form factor and I was thinking about an upgraded mobo that would have 2 SSD NVMe M.2 slots. The HP mobo has 1 that is set up with the wifi along with the one for the SSD and is sata I believe. I've read here that the case may not offer as much cooling as it should if I choose to upgrade a video card later. For now, the 1 TB SSD would be satisfactory.

I'm wondering if this case will fit an upgraded Micro ATX mobo or if I should plug all the components into my previous case and purchase a newer full size ATX board?

Previous case has more fans than the new one and 650 watt PSU.

Oct 16, 2020
I've ordered an MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC 1151 mobo and I should have it today. If it works out and sees the 1TB SSD then I will have a system to get me through the next 10 years ;)

Oct 16, 2020
System is up and running. The Samsung 1TB NVMe was bad. Swapped out at Best Buy for another one and it installed just like it should.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS