Question HP Omen Obelisk cooling worries

Nov 15, 2019
Hello all, I purchased an HP Omen Obelisk and so far has been great. It’s packed with a water-cooled intel i7 9700k, RTX 2070 Super, 512gb M.2 ssd, and 16 GB of RAM (with 4 total DIMM slots).

Well, I didn’t realize it is limited on fans. It has your typical rear exhaust fan. The top fan seems it’s more for the CPU (Since it’s for cooling down the water in the CPU cooler). In which I can’t remember if it’s intake or exhaust. The power supply has its only fan too, and ofcourse the GPU has its own fan. The side glass-panel isn’t vented/grated either. There are no ventilation or intake on the front of the case. And lastly, the bottom is vented and has a magnetic filter. But no fans.

So seems to me (me being no pro or genius when it comes to the stuff) like there isn’t much air flow or ventilation. I haven’t had any overheating problems but I could eventually see it happening.

Last night, I also went to turn the PC off and it wouldn’t power down. The fans ramped up all crazy and loud-like. So I had to manually shut it off again for it to power down. I have no idea what was the cause of this or why it would do that???

Like I said, it’s a powerful PC and performs really well, I haven’t had any real issues yet. I have my old PC case that I could stick all these parts into. Only thing that sucks is if anything were to break, I’d have to put everything back in the case it came with in order to send it back in to HP to get worked on. 2 year warranty, which is nice I suppose.

Just looking for advice on here, sorry for the long post. Thanks for any replies.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Last night, I also went to turn the PC off and it wouldn’t power down. The fans ramped up all crazy and loud-like. So I had to manually shut it off again for it to power down. I have no idea what was the cause of this or why it would do that???

Can you define why you think there are cooling issues, or is it only because you heard the cooling fan RPMs change?

The items you are describing could be several other things other than cooling problems taking place.

This is why I ask why you believe it is 'cooling related'.

Nov 15, 2019
Can you define why you think there are cooling issues, or is it only because you heard the cooling fan RPMs change?

The items you are describing could be several other things other than cooling problems taking place.

This is why I ask why you believe it is 'cooling related'.

There are currently no cooling issues but concerns that there could be in future. It looks like there aren’t even any intake fans. Just in the way that the case is designed.

And yeah, what happened last night is a different concern than the fans and case design. What happened was weird. Like i said i went to shut down my computer, the monitor shut down but the tower stayed running. Then the fans got like SUPER loud. I had to manually shut it down again by pressing the power button.