[SOLVED] HP Omen PC

Feb 3, 2022
Hi, I'm looking into buying a gaming PC, but I really don't know much about it. I mostly play RPGs, and I was hoping to get something that could get 30fps or higher at 4k, or 60 at 1440, and would work for upcoming titles like Elder Scrolls 6, Diablo 4, Dragon Age 4, Elden Ring etc. I've got a budget of about £1500 (I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference), including a monitor.

Would this be a good choice for the price?
https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-omen-g...-256gb-ssd-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-black/p5842010

Thanks everyone

Solution
an RTX 3060 Ti is not going to handle 2160p very well at all.
you would be lucky to get even 30fps with decent settings in newer games.
with games that support DLSS you would get better performance but a lot of them do not.
even 60fps @ 1440p may be difficult to maintain with higher settings in place.
my RX 6700 XT, which is a bit more powerful than the RTX 3060 Ti, had issues maintaining 65-75fps in a lot of the newer more demanding games.

they usually don't include what power supply they contain, which is a big problem.
you don't want to be shipping this back to China over and over when their cheapo PSUs malfunction and kills your other components along with itself.

plus they usually don't use the best cases that can become very hot...
an RTX 3060 Ti is not going to handle 2160p very well at all.
you would be lucky to get even 30fps with decent settings in newer games.
with games that support DLSS you would get better performance but a lot of them do not.
even 60fps @ 1440p may be difficult to maintain with higher settings in place.
my RX 6700 XT, which is a bit more powerful than the RTX 3060 Ti, had issues maintaining 65-75fps in a lot of the newer more demanding games.

they usually don't include what power supply they contain, which is a big problem.
you don't want to be shipping this back to China over and over when their cheapo PSUs malfunction and kills your other components along with itself.

plus they usually don't use the best cases that can become very hot under load.

you should also look for a system that includes more SSD space for games, etc.
a 1TB HDD installed isn't going to offer good game loading speeds. unless you're just using it for backups, media storage, etc files that won't really benefit from a faster drive.
then the 256GB SSD will fill up rather fast with the OS, applications, and larger games installed.
i've got a 4TB SSD for games alone and it's even nearing full capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Might this be better?
just post the specs here so members don't have to chase them down to other sites.

but RTX 3070 is a bit better than a 3060 Ti.
the RX 6700 XT & the RTX 3070 are pretty much equal in performance so it would offer right around, probably a bit over, 60fps with more demanding games at 1440p with a mix of medium-ultra settings and no Ray-Tracing.
you will also have to consider that over the next couple years games are going to get more & more demanding.
if you'd be willing to upgrade again within that time to keep those preferences you stated then it would be a good choice for a GPU right now.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first gaming PC. I made another thread the other day and got some advice there. I was also suggested this from another forum:

https://www.palicomp.co.uk/intel-vortex-fac9# Do you think this looks like a good choice? Are there any changes I should make to the specs?

Thanks again

CPUINTEL Core i5 11400F
6 Core/12 Thread - 2.6/4.4Ghz
MOTHERBOARDASUS B560M-A
RAMCORSAIR 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
STORAGE500GB Samsung 980 M2 NVME
2TB Seagate HDD
GRAPHICSNVIDIA RTX3070TI 8GB
PSUCORSAIR 750W 80+Gold/Modular
SOFTWAREMICROSOFT Windows 10 Home

Reactions: Why_Me
Do you think this looks like a good choice? Are there any changes I should make to the specs?
the included images are too small to actually see the how the case is designed and how well it may be manufactured.

pretty low level Corsair power supply meant for very basic systems.
i wouldn't trust it in a dedicated gaming build.
in that list for 750w, i would opt for either the be quiet! Pure Power 11 or the Silverstone ET-G.

lose the 2TB HDD and add a large 2.5" SSD for game installations.
offers much better performance with newer games it's always better to have them on a separate drive if any OS corruption or issues occur.

decent gaming CPU, good mid-tiered GPU.
will want a better cooler for the CPU.
the listed Arctic Freezer 34 eSports is better. adding a second high air pressure 120mm fan to it makes it quite a bit better.

but it all depends on the price, i don't see any total listed on that linked page.

TRENDING THREADS