HP Omen RTX 2080 Running Hot

lswanie

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
I have been playing AC Odyssey in 4k the past few days (runs around 40fps which works for me when couch gaming), and my RTX is hitting the low 80s almost as soon as I start the game up. I can't feel any kind of airflow generated by the exhaust fan on the back of the case. I checked to see if it was installed backwards, and could not detect any air movement on the inside either. I am kind of baffled how a fan that size (its small but large enough and spinning fast enough I should feel something) does not produce a detectable amount of air movement. When I searched, I found a thread on the HP website with a few folks who are having the same problem with the RTX (no mention of the rear fan), but unfortunately it was closed before an actual solution was found. There is just a list of possible problems/solutions.

My last PC, which is actually sitting unplugged right next to this one, had a slightly larger fan who's airflow was easily detectable with a touch test.

If this thing is going to run in the low 80s out of the box like this, and there is nothing to do about it short of changing the cooling on the actual card, it is not a good sign of things to come. Sure it is under the maximum limit, but I would like it to last more than a couple years.

lswanie

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Tried running precision X with the stock fan going 100% and the thing just hangs at 83. If I take the case siding off, the temp goes down. The design of this thing is very poor. The GPU rests about an inch or less over the PSU, which is on the bottom of the case. The rear fan is very weak, and seeing as it appears to be going for a front bottom to rear mid section air flow, you'd think there would be some place for air to enter on the front of the case...there is not. It isn't air tight, but it is close.

Guessing that drilling holes in the front of the case will probably void the warranty.

lswanie

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Update. Moved some errant wires around which were kind of in the way of the GPU fans, but not where I wouldve seen it making much of a difference. Regardless temps are down to 79. I am thinking just upgrading the exhaust fan to a better brand...something that creates a slight draft, and I should be good to go.

I am going to need to keep this sucker super duper clean . Apartment building constantly under construction, full of dogs, without any central air will keep that interesting.