Review HP Omen X 65 Emperium Monitor Review: 65 Inches of Gaming Greatness

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
In the world of premium gaming monitors, it doesn’t get bigger, better, or pricier than HP's 4K Omen X 65 Emperium, with HDR, G-Sync, 144Hz, and killer audio. Read more here.
a-angle2.jpg

CHRISTIAN EBERLE
@ceberle
Christian Eberle is a Contributing Editor for Tom's Hardware US. He's a veteran reviewer of A/V equipment, specializing in monitors.

Feb 24, 2019
Thanks for the nice review; product sounds great. I didn't see any details about upscaling from dvd/480p/1080p content, except a brief mention of youtube. I assume it does this similarly to most TVs; can you/did you compare some mkv/mp4 playback from usb/NAS or something?

Feb 24, 2019
Really great review, I enjoyed reading it. One question I am wanting to get this to go on my desk, what do you think the minimum viewing distance could be. You mentioned 5ft in the article as maybe an optimal but Was wondering if you thought it would work less than that.

Thanks for any information you could provide.

One question I am wanting to get this to go on my desk, what do you think the minimum viewing distance could be. You mentioned 5ft in the article as maybe an optimal but Was wondering if you thought it would work less than that.
This seems like it would be rather large for a typical desk setup. Looking at the dimensions, it's about 4.75 ft wide by 2.75ft tall (1.45 x 0.83 meters), or roughly the equivalent of four 32 inch 16:9 screens. While I haven't tried viewing a screen that large on a desk, I get the impression that it would involve a lot of craning one's neck back and forth to view things at the edges. If you were only about half the screen's width away, you would also be viewing the edges at about a 45 degree angle, so they might appear noticeable dimmer, like what's depicted in the viewing angle test.

Holy hell. What a monstrous beast of a display. I've got an Omen 27 that I got for a great price and love it. I couldn't even imagine playing on something as utterly massive as this thing. How long before we see some beastly rig with dual 2080TIs paired up with it? One can only guess, but I don't doubt there's people with money to burn and won't settle for anything less.