Question HP p2-1113w Win 10 install stuck at 0%

spellman1989

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
Ok so my coworker insists on keeping this computer (HP P2-1113w, AMD E300, 4GB ram) for a media center. So I had at one point installed Windows 10 but he wanted to upgrade the hard drive to a bigger size. When it gets to copying windows files it freezes the computer and I have to restart installation.

I thought it could be a sata cable problem so I bought a new cable. Put in the new hard drive 2tb seagate from staples and even redownloaded windows 10 and created a new usb from the media creation tool. To no avail it still froze in the same spot.

I thought it could be a drive controller issue but Win 7 installs fine no problem. I tried creating 2 different flash drives with win 10 iso's. I tried to install Win 10 after installing Win 7 on the brand new HDD it wouldn't finish the installation.

Can anyone suggest how I can get windows 10 on this computer? Or any suggestions.

Ok so my coworker insists on keeping this computer (HP P2-1113w, AMD E300, 4GB ram) for a media center. So I had at one point installed Windows 10 but he wanted to upgrade the hard drive to a bigger size. When it gets to copying windows files it freezes the computer and I have to restart installation.

I thought it could be a sata cable problem so I bought a new cable. Put in the new hard drive 2tb seagate from staples and even redownloaded windows 10 and created a new usb from the media creation tool. To no avail it still froze in the same spot.

I thought it could be a drive controller issue but Win 7 installs fine no problem. I tried creating 2 different flash drives with win 10 iso's. I tried to install Win 10 after installing Win 7 on the brand new HDD it wouldn't finish the installation.

Can anyone suggest how I can get windows 10 on this computer? Or any suggestions.
The windows installer is kind of quirky; it works best when only 1 drive is connected at installation time; others can be added later. It also works best when the drive has a GPT indentifier. If you're not sure if the drive is GPT you can use a partitioning tool like Gparted to check and if necessary make a change. Once the drive has a GPT identifier its OK for the remaining space on the drive to be unallocated; the installer will create the necessary partitions and format them.

spellman1989

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
The windows installer is kind of quirky; it works best when only 1 drive is connected at installation time; others can be added later. It also works best when the drive has a GPT indentifier. If you're not sure if the drive is GPT you can use a partitioning tool like Gparted to check and if necessary make a change. Once the drive has a GPT identifier its OK for the remaining space on the drive to be unallocated; the installer will create the necessary partitions and format them.

This computer can only handle 1 drive unless I unplug the dvd drive. So say I use rufus to create the bootable usb drive I should select GPT instead of MBR? Or what do I need to do?

This computer can only handle 1 drive unless I unplug the dvd drive. So say I use rufus to create the bootable usb drive I should select GPT instead of MBR? Or what do I need to do?
The settings in Rufus are not relevant since all of the necessary settings for the usb are contained in the ISO created by the Media Creation Tool. If you wish you can download the Gparted ISO and boot a usb with that. You can use it to evaluate the new disk that you want to install windows on and make sure that disk is identified as GPT. That's the minimum that's necessary on a new disk since the windows installer does everything else. If there are old partitions left over from when you installed Windows 7 you can delete them and leave all of the space on the new drive unallocated.

spellman1989

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
The settings in Rufus are not relevant since all of the necessary settings for the usb are contained in the ISO created by the Media Creation Tool. If you wish you can download the Gparted ISO and boot a usb with that. You can use it to evaluate the new disk that you want to install windows on and make sure that disk is identified as GPT. That's the minimum that's necessary on a new disk since the windows installer does everything else. If there are old partitions left over from when you installed Windows 7 you can delete them and leave all of the space on the new drive unallocated.

I finally got it to install. I had to go into boot options during startup and instead of booting from uefi device I had to boot the flash drive using the legacy boot option. It let me install Win 10 64 bit.

Reactions: dwd999