[SOLVED] HP P34Hc G4 Monitor & AMD R7 370 - cannot increase screen resolution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2021
Hi,

Today via work I received an HP P34hc G4 34 inch monitor. It works fine on my work laptop, which supports using a 2560 x 1440 resolution via an Intel HD Graphics 620 display adaptor.

My home PC uses Windows 10, and has an AMD R7 370 Graphics Card / Display Adaptor.

The screen resolution on my home PC won't go higher than 1920 x 1200, so the display is very squashed on the monitor.

I have tried all sorts, including:
  • Uninstalling the display adaptor driver
  • Reinstalling the latest R7 370 driver from the AMD website (tried that a few times)
  • Scanning for hardware changes (none found)
  • Using generic windows display adaptor and choosing higher screen resolution - no difference
  • Device Manager shows the correct AMD Driver against the Display Adaptor
  • I have updated the Monitor Adaptor so that shows "HP P34hc G4 WQHD USB-C Curved Monitor"
I am connecting to the monitor using an HDMI cable, should I be using something else, like USB-C? Hopefully not, as there is no USB-C port on my PC... also, I'm not using USB-C on my work laptop, and that can support a higher screen resolution.

I thought, maybe the graphics card won't support going to a resolution higher than 1920 x 1200, but this URL:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162652-REG/msi_radeon_r7_370_gaming.html/overview

States:

the Radeon R7 370 is capable of driving displays with resolutions up to cinema 4K (4096 x 2160)

Therefore, I think it should, but for some reason, I can't work out how to achieve a higher resolution, so I thought I'd ask for advice here.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
I worked out that the issue was due to the type of cable I was using.

When using an HDMI cable on my home PC, I could only get a max resolution of 1920 x 1200.

My work laptop was connected to the monitor using a DisplayPort lead.

When I connected that DisplayPort lead to my PC instead of the HDMI lead, I was able to select a resolution of 3440 x 1440 on my PC.

Problem solved - seems the issue was due to the lead, and for some reason when using the HMDI lead, I could not get the desired resolution.

Apologies for not making it clear in my question about the fact I was connecting to the laptop using DisplayPort and my PC using HDMI. Before I received the monitor yesterday I'd never heard of DisplayPort...
May 10, 2021
I worked out that the issue was due to the type of cable I was using.

When using an HDMI cable on my home PC, I could only get a max resolution of 1920 x 1200.

My work laptop was connected to the monitor using a DisplayPort lead.

When I connected that DisplayPort lead to my PC instead of the HDMI lead, I was able to select a resolution of 3440 x 1440 on my PC.

Problem solved - seems the issue was due to the lead, and for some reason when using the HMDI lead, I could not get the desired resolution.

Apologies for not making it clear in my question about the fact I was connecting to the laptop using DisplayPort and my PC using HDMI. Before I received the monitor yesterday I'd never heard of DisplayPort...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.