Question HP P7-1451: I need a raid1 controller for mirroring any suggestions?

Jun 9, 2019
I need help finding a raid1 controller card that I can buy for my HP P7-1451.
This is an older computer with amd chipset.
It has been a great computer but drives do fail!
i could not figure out how to use bios raid1 with amd raidexpert.
I would like to mirror my c: and d: 2tb drives 7200.
The link below is the HP P7-1451 specs.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03509216
I need the Raid1 redundancy, I can't afford to loose the data when a hard drive fails.
I am currently using windows system image for backing up and need a better solution.
Looking into purchasing Acronis for a backup solution as well.
To help with backup and redundancy i am looking toward purchasing a Synology 5 bay nas DiskStation DS1019+
I would like to find a raid1 card that will work with this computer! HP P7-1451
I appreciate anyone's help, thanks so much in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
Actual backups are far safer than a simple RAID 1 or Windows System Images.

Better solution? Read here:

(no need to purchase Acronis. The free version of Macrium will serve quite nicely)

I read in the news some days ago that a new sort of Windows worm is leaked, so we can expect a new bombardment of wannacry-type malware that encrypting user files.

The thing about those file encryption malware infections is that if you have a raid-1 setup, all copies on both disks are destroyed/encrypted.

Therefore, in these days - raid-1 provide very poor data protection when considering what kind of threats that are out there.

Jun 9, 2019

(no need to purchase Acronis. The free version of Macrium will serve quite nicely)
I read the post Better Solution.
I have copied it in a word document to use as a design template to build upon for my backup routine.
I am planning something similar.
I am planing on buying the synology 5 bay NAS DiskStation DS1019+ tomorrow.
planning on the NAS having raid5 with a regular nightly backup routine from my three computers.
Hopefully having raid1 on each of my computers.
I have three identical HP p7-1415 computers that i need to have raid1 on.
I tried setting up the raid1 configuration as posted by doolittle with no success.
That is why i started looking for raid1 controller cards.
I am going to try doolittle's method again one more time and see if I am successful.
Thanks for the encouragement doolittle! I agree that this appears to be a prefered method for a raid1!

I would like to develop a backup plan from my 3 computers two computers have two 2TB drives, and one has two 3TB drives, to the NAS each night automatically.
I have several 8TB external drives that I can use within the backup plan to use to take data offsite on a regular basis.

I am starting a business as soon as i set up this backup plan, and will be having some very critical data that I cannot afford to have a hiccup with any data, and surely cannot afford to loose any.
That is why I am needing to set up a very secure backup plan that has backup plans.

One of my computers will not perform a backup and restore (windows 7) backup.
It will make a system image backup.
That is why I was considering Acronis.
Microsoft techs said last week that they are planning on discontinuing the backup and restore (windows7) routine and encouraging me to use system image backups,
and using File History. They are planning on phasing out the backup and restore (windows7) it is legacy feature.

Thank you so much for your help and Ideas for a backup routine.

Jun 9, 2019
Just use software raid, you can configure in the disk manager to setup your disks as dynamic and will use the logical volume manager to mirror your disks.

How to mirror Boot Hard Drive for UEFI on Windows 10

I would not bother with Raid 1 cards unless you like to waste money (although hot-swap is a very convenient feature, very expensive as well).

Thanks for your reply!
I am hoping that I don't have to go down that road of Raid 1 cards.
I tried the method of your post how to mirror boot hard drive for UEFI and was not successful.
Now with your encouragement I am going to try it again!
Wish me luck!
I will let you know if i was successful at this 2nd attempt!
If you check out the reply post from me to USAFRet you can see the backup plan I am trying to set up.

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement!

Jun 9, 2019
I read in the news some days ago that a new sort of Windows worm is leaked, so we can expect a new bombardment of wannacry-type malware that encrypting user files.

The thing about those file encryption malware infections is that if you have a raid-1 setup, all copies on both disks are destroyed/encrypted.

Therefore, in these days - raid-1 provide very poor data protection when considering what kind of threats that are out there.

Thanks for your reply!
You are right that the malware will take out both drives.
With Raid 1 I am mainly concerned about drive failure and loosing my data.

If I have a malware infection I am hoping to recover from that from many previous backups if I have a good backup routine.
I would need to restore from a backup before the malware took me out.

Thanks for your reply!

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your reply!
You are right that the malware will take out both drives.
With Raid 1 I am mainly concerned about drive failure and loosing my data.

If I have a malware infection I am hoping to recover from that from many previous backups if I have a good backup routine.
I would need to restore from a backup before the malware took me out.

Thanks for your reply!
A good backup routine runs every day (or night).

Can you withstand a little bit of downtime while you recover from the most recent backup?
Or do you actually need 24/7 uninterrupted ops?

Recovering from a dead drive in a RAID 1 also incurs that same downtime, when you slot in a new drive and let the array rebuild itself.

Jun 9, 2019
That is what I would like to do is have a good backup routine!
right now when I make a system image it takes about 16 hours before it is finished.
My computer can only do a system image backup and a file history.
The backup routine that I have been doing is automatic on sunday evernings beginning at 9pm.
and having file history set to run every hour.

The method Backup and Restore (windows 7) does not work.
When you do a backup do you use Backup and Restore (windows 7)?

USAFRet

Titan
That is what I would like to do is have a good backup routine!
right now when I make a system image it takes about 16 hours before it is finished.
My computer can only do a system image backup and a file history.
The backup routine that I have been doing is automatic on sunday evernings beginning at 9pm.
and having file history set to run every hour.

The method Backup and Restore (windows 7) does not work.
When you do a backup do you use Backup and Restore (windows 7)?
Then you're using the wrong tool.

Full backups on the 6 drives in my system takes no more than 2 hours. Weekly. Automated, runs between 2 and 3AM.
6x SSD, 3.5TB available drive space, 1.6TB consumed.
Daily incrementals take no more than 5-10 minutes total.

Read my link above.
Macrium Reflect.

Jun 9, 2019

I have been looking into both Macrium and Acronis.
I am following your lead an going with Macrium! Thanks
Macrium website discusses the benifits of Raid1 in this article.
I agree with Macrium and would like to follow their example of Raid1 which provides rapid failover: see article link below.
https://blog.macrium.com/raid-is-not-backup-abaf74974fea
Thanks so much for your recomendation for Macrium and your backup plan.
You backup plan with Macrium and Raid1 together is what I hope to accomplish!
Thanks again!!!!