HP Pavilion 10z Touch Laptop Uses AMD Mullins Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

not me

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
The tags are: Laptops, Intel, HP.
My, my, even articles about AMD get an Intel tag instead of an AMD tag.

Wondering why this only has 4 hours battery life when they are sticking a tablet CPU in it.

HP went into the crapper on the battery ... even their Chromebooks have 3-cell 30WHr.

I snagged the HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015nr with an 8-watt Temash quad and I can go 5-6 hours, easy, and the battery is no bigger around than my thumb. That 24Whr battery can't be bigger than a fat pencil.

I popped a Samsung SSD in it which might make a difference, though. HP seems mod-friendly on things like that, and that Temash is a snappy thang with that SSD.

alextheblue

Distinguished
OK the specs are low but this *IS* one of the cheapest compact models WITH a touchscreen. In fact, BOTH of the Chromebooks mentioned in this article seem to lack touchscreens. So they don't even really compete with this, and frankly I'm not sure why you'd bother mentioning them. Compare it to other touchbooks in that size and price range, perhaps?

The only disappointing thing is that they don't appear to offer upgraded APU choices in this model. Having an option for even the 6400T for an extra $20-30 would make it interesting. Double the cores AND a higher turbo. But realistically, I'd much MUCH rather see Mullins in a tablet or hybrid!

not me

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Touchscreen on a laptop is such a useless feature. I bought a laptop for my wife and I chose one specifically because it didn't have a touchscreen.

not me

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

I think it is dumb to generalize like that. AMD APUs have the best graphics part ever, way better than Intel APUs. If you want a laptop to just to surf the net, watch videos and play games AMD APUs are really good. If you want a laptop to compile stuff, then i guess you need an Intel CPU.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
If you cannot remove the keyboard to makeit a tablet, why ithe display is with touchscreen? Better was to use the money for a larger battery or change the hdd with an ssd

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

The CPUs aren't that bad, though they are slow, it's the horrible chipsets and high failure rates of the motherboards that keeps me away from AMDs. HPs are just bad.

not me

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

The CPUs aren't that bad, though they are slow, it's the horrible chipsets and high failure rates of the motherboards that keeps me away from AMDs. HPs are just bad.
Maybe you are right, but my wife happens to have a debranded HP with an A6 APU and her experience with the laptop has been very pleasant. She plays candy crush on it like there is no tomorrow. Never had a problem with that laptop so far.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Touchscreen on a laptop is such a useless feature. I bought a laptop for my wife and I chose one specifically because it didn't have a touchscreen.

Don't be so narrow-minded. Have you ever seen someone using a tablet with a stand? It's a lot like that only with a better keyboard (in most cases). Also laptops are often used without a mouse, especially when you're not at home. The touchscreen is a pretty tolerable replacement for the mouse for the average user (the target of these devices), and you still have a real keyboard for text input.

I got my mom a hybrid device and most of the time she uses it propped up on her lap in "laptop mode". If you're sitting on the couch without a good place for a mouse, the touchscreen works pretty nicely especially for web browsing and email.
How does the E1 Micro-6200T APU compare to the E-350 or E-450 APUs?
Given increases in IPC and turbo, I'd bet it will perform comparably to the E-350 on both CPU and graphics. The E-450 however has a faster GPU due to higher clocks and DDR3 1333 support.

However, that's still pretty good given the 3.95 watt TDP of the 6200T - the E-350 and E-450 have an 18 watt TDP. The 6400T and 6700T are much more impressive, however. They're only rated at 4.5W, and compared to the 6200T both of them have twice the cores, faster clocks, and faster memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.