[SOLVED] HP Pavilion 17-f027ds Blank/Black Screen

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Hello,
I have an HP Pavilion 17-f027ds red laptop.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-17-Notebook-PC-series/6936220/model/7261358

The issue is what I thought was a bad LCD. No display. So I replaced the LCD. Even with the new LCD I still have no display. So I then replaced the motherboard. Even with the new motherboard there is no display showing. I connected the laptop to an external monitor with both motherboards and still no display.I am lost here. Does anyone know what may be the issue? I did take out the battery and unplugged the charger and held down the power button for 30 sec. I do know that I should be able to see something on the external monitor but I get nothing.

Solution
I used to work on older ones, 2007-2016, i checked the dc jack , its this right?
https://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Connector-17-f001dx-17-f004dx-17-f019wm/dp/B073V1Q45C
there is no dc in board its just cable
New motherboard is presumably the same, can you check what is the model of it , its written somewhere on the motherboard itself, can be under sticker too.

What is the ram model number you have in there right now?

Did you try bios recovery what i proposed earlier, latest bios for your motherboard should be F.46 Rev.A https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...n-17-Notebook-PC-series/6936220/model/7261358
I cant really say what would bios chip to get corrupted again, makes no sense but just try it.
What are the symptoms. Booting up normally (fan sound, power on led, charging led) but black screen? Or doesnt even boot up, no charge light?

Try boot with only power cable and no battery.

Have you tried another charger, you can test with multimeter also voltage.

When you connect external keys you might need to use key combination to switch between output, FN +F1-12 some of those keys on your keyboard has the symbol.

what ram stick you have , original?
Remove battery, remove power cable, remove ram from slot1 and try to boot with power cable only. If doent work remove cable and switch the remaining stick from slot 2 to 1 and leave slot 1 empty, try again. Repeat with another stick to test both ram sticks and both slots.

try to boot without hard drive.

Remove the round cmos battery (coin battery 3.3volts) on the motherboard, then remove power button cable from the motherboard connector. Now plugin power cable (you will boot without pressing power button without cmos battery connected) if you get picture then power button board is not working.

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
What are the symptoms. Booting up normally (fan sound, power on led, charging led) but black screen? Or doesnt even boot up, no charge light?

Try boot with only power cable and no battery.

Have you tried another charger, you can test with multimeter also voltage.

When you connect external keys you might need to use key combination to switch between output, FN +F1-12 some of those keys on your keyboard has the symbol.

what ram stick you have , original?
Remove battery, remove power cable, remove ram from slot1 and try to boot with power cable only. If doent work remove cable and switch the remaining stick from slot 2 to 1 and leave slot 1 empty, try again. Repeat with another stick to test both ram sticks and both slots.

try to boot without hard drive.

Remove the round cmos battery (coin battery 3.3volts) on the motherboard, then remove power button cable from the motherboard connector. Now plugin power cable (you will boot without pressing power button without cmos battery connected) if you get picture then power button board is not working.
Tried all that. I have power, fan spins, led light, charging light , battery charges and hard drive spins. Battery in and out, cmos in and out, new motherboard, key combos, memory slot switch, same issue. I just cannot get any dispaly on the 2 laptop screens nor on an external monitor.

Last edited:
You can troubleshoot which part Is It by removing power cable and battery. Then disassemplying part by part connected To external monitor. Just plugin power cable test then remove power cable always when you touch motherboard connector. Might be the keyboard, WiFi card, lcd cable, power button board, usb hubs, speakers, fan etc. First remove lcd cable connector from the motherboard and test with external monitor. This Is most likely the issue. Might of even killed the 2nd lcd

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
I powered on the motherboards with nothing connected but the keyboard because I need that connected because it is connected the to power switch and I need it for the muli-monitor button in case I need to use that. FN+F4. Everything else was disconnected. (hard drive, wifi card, usb boards and speakers and lcd cable) Tested the external with all disconnected. Just use the motherboards themselves only and get no display with either MB's nor the 2 screens old and new. nor the external. Both MB's do the same, they just power on with fan spinning. and power light on. There is nothing else in this laptop to disconnect.
I am a certified tech in computers and electronics for 34 yrs. So I know how to handle electroni boards and such. It is just this issue giving me a headache. Just can't figure this out and that is why I am here seeking help. Maybe something I missed that others are aware of.
I do appreciate the help and suggestions as they come along.

I dont think you need the keyboard connected. Remove cmos battery and you should boot right away when you plugin the power cable. Fn Keys should not be needed if you disconnected lcd cable from motherboard. Did you also try To remove fan connector?

If it doesnt boot without power button short pin3 To ground from power button connector on the motherboard

Is It the original charger for the laptop? You need 19v Or More for this model.

Did you remove front cover with keyboard etc and try To boot without it. By shorting pins and removing cmos?

Ok this must be the ram. Cause i have repaired about 50 hp laptops Or More and it should give picture To external right away. This thing makes no sense. Is there some kind of dc In board Or Is the power Jack connected straight To mobo? Again i dont think this hp board has power supply recodnizition like Apple for example. Then again i havent repaired this new model

If it Is not ram then you had component which killed the board twice. This would be most u Lucky thing ever.

I suggest To try one More thing. Search newest bios file for this exact model from hp site, plugin usb less than 8gb In size preferably. Press the bios exe file on your working laptop. It asks you if you want To make recovery usb. Make it. Then turn Off your non working laptop, put cmos and most parts back even the lcd and plugin the usb To 2.0 port.

Now start holding Windows key + B key with other hand. Then press power button for 3sec while still holding Windows and b. Stop pressing power button after 3sec but keep holding Windows and b until you get recovery screen. Key combination might also be Windows plus v keys

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Is It the original charger for the laptop? You need 19v Or More for this model.

Did you remove front cover with keyboard etc and try To boot without it. By shorting pins and removing cmos?

Ok this must be the ram. Cause i have repaired about 50 hp laptops Or More and it should give picture To external right away. This thing makes no sense. Is there some kind of dc In board Or Is the power Jack connected straight To mobo? Again i dont think this hp board has power supply recodnizition like Apple for example. Then again i havent repaired this new model
Yes the power jack is separate from the board. It connects to the mb. But this is not a new or newer model. This is an older laptop. I would say about 2015-16. And you are right, this makes no sense. Yes this was the original charger. My laptop has the same charger. Yes I removed the keyboard cover and booted without it and shorting the pins to power on the laptop and removed the cmos. It's is weird I know. Don't know what else to try.

I used to work on older ones, 2007-2016, i checked the dc jack , its this right?
https://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Connector-17-f001dx-17-f004dx-17-f019wm/dp/B073V1Q45C
New motherboard is presumably the same, can you check what is the model of it , its written somewhere on the motherboard itself, can be under sticker too.

Did you try bios recovery what i proposed earlier, latest bios for your motherboard should be F.46 Rev.A https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...n-17-Notebook-PC-series/6936220/model/7261358
I cant really say what would bios chip to get corrupted again, makes no sense but just try it.

Solution

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

Yes that is the dc connector on this laptop. Unfortunately, I was unable to complete the repair. Customer could not wait any longer and decided to take it back as is. So I guess I will never know what could be causing that issue. But thanks for you assistance. It was greatly helpful.