Question HP Pavilion All-In-One Chipset?

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
I'm trying to service an HP Pavilion All-In-One, (yes, every tech's nightmare), that is having GPU issues. It's behaving like a 2-GPU setup with the GPU controlling the lower half of the screen on the fritz. Obviously an All-in-One would not have this type of GPU setup.
Inside the machine I could only find one AMD chip, do these systems use CPU/GPU combo chips?
The Chip:
2n6un45.jpg

Model numbers:
2ibkyzn.jpg

Last edited:

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
since there are more then one hp pavllion aio, the exact model would help.
I provided an image of the model number:
It's 23-q112

There are other serial numbers in the image in the OP, as well as an image of the chip I located. Can anyone verify that the chip is a CPU with integrated GPU, (combo chip)?

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Can you even connect this machine to an external screen? It has an HDMI port but I'm not sure that it can send video both ways. I don't have a USB to VGA cable.
In my experience, the symptoms I saw where typical of a bad GPU. There is no visible physical damage to the screen, (inside or out), or the board/APU/wiring.

The owner said symptoms began after a storm, but the machine goes through a setup of two different types of surge protectors.

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
A quick update, I revisited this machine to verify the correct system board to order, and a little more testing.

To clarify the video problem, the multiple horizontal lines appear from the second I boot it up, long before it ever reached Windows. It's most certainly the system board. The only other possibility is the board for the LCD, but I highly doubt that.

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
14aa8sw.jpg

Installed a different main board, but the horizontal lines are still there. This is the internal LCD cable. Is it supposed to be missing those 2 pins? Seems a little difficult to find an exact replacement, but I will keep looking.