[SOLVED] HP Pavilion CX00040NT Gaming Laptop High CPU Temperature

Apr 11, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a brand new HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook. The temperature of my CPU increases up to 95-96 Celcius, which worries me pretty much. I performed undervolting the CPU by -125mV. Nevertheless the temperature did not decrease. My CPU and GPU fans got replaced just after 1 month usage. This situation distrubs me pretty much. I wonder whether these temperatures are normal and safe. If not, what should i do ? Thanks.

Solution
Did the fans fail completely or where blocked with dust? Thats kinda rare fans get replaced that early.

I looked at the thermal design and few benchmarks including temperatures and saw 90+ temperatures in every single one. Looks like these things run hot, i would usually suggest replacing thermal paste with either liquid metal or thermal grizzly kryonaut ( not conductive) but these will void warranty and i wouldnt do it cause of that. Things like adding / replacing thermal pads can also void warranty so your left with getting a laptop cooling pad (might give temperature drop but cant quarantee it) or reducing wattage with throttlestop and tweaking the settings more.

Are you using intel xtu or throttlestop for the undervolt?
Did the fans fail completely or where blocked with dust? Thats kinda rare fans get replaced that early.

I looked at the thermal design and few benchmarks including temperatures and saw 90+ temperatures in every single one. Looks like these things run hot, i would usually suggest replacing thermal paste with either liquid metal or thermal grizzly kryonaut ( not conductive) but these will void warranty and i wouldnt do it cause of that. Things like adding / replacing thermal pads can also void warranty so your left with getting a laptop cooling pad (might give temperature drop but cant quarantee it) or reducing wattage with throttlestop and tweaking the settings more.

Reactions: TheOctave
Solution
Apr 11, 2020

Yeah unfortunately, they are so hot. I am using throttlestop for undervolt. It actually helped me a little. I am now around 80-85 celcius (in game). Fans completely failed. There was blockage due to dust. I have already purchased a cooling pad which also slightly lowers the temperature. It seems that i have tried all that i can :) Thanks for the reply.

TRENDING THREADS