HP Pavilion dv9000 Boot / Display Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
HDD's recently removed to backup data using a usb caddy to another pc. HDD's appear to be working fine, extracted all data ok. When pressing the power button, all the light come on, and laptop appears to be running. But no display on the monitor, not even Bios. It then Cyclic reboots after a minute or so, but still not display.

If anyone had any ideas!

Thanks

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
well first unplug the HDD and press the power button. After it loads windows plug your USB. My IDE 2 USB adapter works that way .

Mathias247

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
The website above does actually work.... Basically the work around that worked for me was opening the screen between a 45-75 Degree Angel and the screen will actually work... This has got to be the most surprising work around I've ever seen. This is definitely a connection issue in my opinion... unless the bios has bad code that is not triggering the screen to turn on. Either way. I do recommend the website above as an ex-Geek Squad tech myself... Have a good day guys

Daniel Beck

TechMata

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks Daniel Beck^_^ Good to hear that my workaround actually worked ^_^

Surprisingly, no one has ever left a comment on the post if it really actually worked for them.hehe

Anyway, I am still figuring out the Wireless Card problem. Last week it detected the wireless card, and now it is not detected. Very hard to say how to fix this since the scenario is very intermittent.

Good luck fixing your HPs! Hope you'll leave comments as they are very much welcomed. Thanks! ^_^

meghan2131

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

sokrateas

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Thank you for the information regarding the extended warranty meghan. I checked your link and called HP. They have a box on the way for repair. I only hope I don't get some refurbished motherboard / video card. The best part is that I have been using my dv9417 for just under two years, and they are still offering this to me. (It popped up as a warning on his system after I gave him my product number). Thanks again for the link. Here's hoping I can get another 2 years out of the replacement.

-Andy

lacemary

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
this is lacemary i will like u to mail me ok so that will can talk better thank for doing that for me lacemary@ymail.com that is my email message me now byeeeeeeeeee my id is lacemary@ymail.com

sailboat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

i just saw your post. great info! my computer does something similar. did they take care of the whole defect free of charge? and in a timely manner?

THANK YOU!!

dfarr67

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

My info indicates certain problems with the graphic chipset that heat cycle and break away from the motherboard and this causes all kinds of issues including wireless failure. HP stiffed me on the warranty. Any Canadians here having issues with the dv9000 and Canadian variants please contact me....davefarr1967@gmail.com

G

I have looked into your post and can tell you that that is not main way to solve the display problem issue when you already have it. The Pavilion dv9000 series and other series have this common problem and in the first place it is caused by overheating. The main problem after the overheating is the video chip tend to move slightly causing a loss of proper connection to the motherboard. When looking at the chip displacement on the motherboard it is hardly noticeable. The way to solve this without contacting Hp is to get access to the GPU and use a special tool to reball the GPU. Get more information at http://www.clickpcrepair.com/Hp_Compaq_Laptop_Repair.html

G

I had the same problem with my Pavilion Dv9000 and was able to fix it with this company henry5nd@yahoo.com

chrshea

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
The boot problem is very common on HP Laptops. The Extended Warranty is a bios fix to keep the fans running to reduce the heat but I believe that this only applies to machines with Intel Processors. There is no bios update for machines with AMD processors (and they run hotter than Intels).

My machine was dead and I found a way to get it started again. It has now been running since July despite the problem. If you want more details see the post on my site.

Jiniix

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I just installed Windows 7 on my dv9790eo, and everything works great but the driver for the GPU (GeForce 8600M GS).
But everytiime I install a driver, the driver itself installs. But when I reboot the "Starting Windows" animation comes, waits 5 minutes and then reboots. To get back to before, I need to do a System Restore.
Any ideas on how to solve this?

wizzcom

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Bought a DV9000 that had the video problem , Wanted to try the solder reflow, Well i'll be damed it worked , Payed $200 for the Complete system and it is running like a dream, I have since bought a second unit with a slightly differient video problem ( Screen was stripped , Removed the board and did a Reflow like the first one at Yes it worked as well ) Now just to make things interesting I had a Dell 1545 with No LCD Video but perfect External Video, Reflowed the Intel Video Chip and Yes you guess it Problem Fixed, So as far as i'm concerned it is a Manufacturing fault, when they go throught the wave soldering Machine they are not Getting hot enough and the solder is not set correctly, and of course the heat produced by the Chips doesn't help matters.

Dave from Wizzcom
info@wizzcom.com.au

KeyWestDylan

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
DV9000- I'm a tech and I'm trying to help a friend from france (bios and win in french) fix "no display" even for bios. He took it to a tech and tech took it apart. Tech said its "done". Out of warranty call asked for a way to enable external monitor via vga. HP said [fn] + f4 to toggle external display during boot seq. (hold [fn] and depress f4 once. main (on-board display appeared)!!!!!!! HP tech aws befuddled that I still couldn't toggle between main and ext. disp. via the keyboard shortcut after main appeared... I've tried the fixes (45-47 Degree disp opening etc). as this and other forums suggested - to no-avail... note; I could hear the win login sound upon booting. I figured if he could use an external... reason for my HP call - (toggle monitors). So, I hope this will help some/anyone get past this issue. I TOOK THE TIME TO TRY TO HELP OTHERS AFTER READING FORUMS -EVEN IF IT DIDN'T FIX MY PROB! @NOOBS to post... please respond so I know it wasn't in vain. -even if it didn't work. You can e-mail me @ Dylan@howtohavegoodsex.com (it was ineteresting and free 6 years ago) and I'll try to get back to you asap...

timerider

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I've been checking out this site since the 90's! Ole Tom had me speeding along at almost 200 MHZ on a 150 pentium long long ago! Anyway, some of you are techs and know that the manufactureing process has not changed much from the day when lead solder was used. Silver solder is now the legal and accepted solder flow but it needs more heat! The eastern factories must change this soon I hope!!
It seems all the new laptops need this fix! Heat is the issue as it always has been. Video chips are failing left and right due to not good enough fan,heat sink and compound. Ahhh, planned obselesnce!
Re-flow seems to be the only answer for some. I will try the warranty solution myself.

bjohnson555

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I have a fixed DV9000T. I've have seen and heard all this so much the past few years. I gave up on HP long ago and fixed My HP DV9000 computer myself. The most important thing I fixed, besides reflowing my NVIDIA BGA assembly, was progamming my fan to run faster. I patched the BIOS ACPI DSTS that controls the speed of the fan and now the fan runs faster so the GPU stays between 49C and 58C. so you can patch your computer to take control of your fan.

Read about it here.
http://icodehead.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-i-fixed-my-hp-dv9000-computer_02.html#Section3.4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.