Hp pavilion elite m9517c hangs up at windows logo screen

Hardshell

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I have an HP Pavilion Elite m9517c it will not boot, all it does is hang at the HP logo screen, it will not enter setup, diagnostics, etc....., I have tried reseating the memory and processor and resetting the bios by the jumper and by removing the cmos battery, but its still the same thing. Can you help?

Cal875

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

The HP Pavilion Elite m9517c is a piece of ***. I suggest getting a new third party micro atx motherboard fitting your Socket AM2+ processor. Once you isolate it to the motherboard. Trust me it will relieve the stress off your shoulders once you do. Another problem with this machine, with the existing motherboard, is upgrading to a larger than 1TB SATA internal hard drive. However many times you try to format it, it can't be done. Unless you want to partition a 2TB into half. HP will not admit to this defect on this machine or provide any bios update.

nctaylor

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hardshell..........I have an Elite that is doing the same thing. Did you ever figure this out and if so, what did you end up doing to fix it? I suspect the mother boards sata controller has stopped working. if that is the case i am going to havee to buy a new motherboard. Just wondering what you had to do?

HAMMER8899

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I have an identical issue and the fix that I am currently working on is to purchase a compatable addon card for the RAID controller. I then will have the OEM drivers for the new controller, hopefully this will ease installation of future operating systems.

nctaylor

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
hammer..........I have already ordered the motherboard but your solution seems plausible too. Can you let me know what you purchase (model/brand) and what the end result is?