HP Pavilion g6 fan noise is LOUD like a jet engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ineedahammer

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
Well, maybe not a jet engine, but it is loud. Loud enough that the laptop, which is generally in a bedroom of a detached house, can be heard even on the main level.

It has been like this since I bought it, and the retailer I bought it from said 'oh, it's normal'. No it's not.

The sound begins on startup, as a whine, then goes to a dull roar when doing anything remotely taxing, like watching a youtube video. Or trying to multi-task, by opening youtube in a browser window and Microsoft Word to take notes.

I've read other threads, but other people seem to have had the noise develop over time. Not so for me. This has been going on since I first bought it about 18 months ago.

What can I do about this?

Oh, other problems include the laptop getting really warm, despite the fan *always* running.

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Check to see if any startup programs are running in your task manager that you would rather not be. Most of them can be safely disabled without issue. Also, check any anti-virus program that may be running in the background that can be disabled to manual scan.

Ineedahammer

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
Thanks @naturesninja!

I've done the startup thing already, as much as possible.

I'll do the AV thing.

BTW: how necessary is it to run AV in the background?

Incidentally, the noise goes down significantly ..... when I exit the internet :lol:

Great.

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Some anti virus programs will have "real time protection" meaning it may warn you about visiting certain websites, scan downloads, and auto scan at specified times. Usually, you can turn these features off and just manually scan at will. Honestly, if a person kept their drivers up to date, didn't open fishy emails, or visit unknown unsecure sites, then an antivirus isn't really useful for much more than using system resources. You may want to check if anything is using a lot of RAM. Some gaming apps like shadowplay, minecraft, etc... may not actually end running when you quit them, so I would check your RAM resources for anything that looks like it may be using anything over say, 40-50mb and end it. Some of these programs can even continue running after rebooting or shutting down, starting back up when you power on without being listed in your startup items. It's also worth checking that your BIOS is up to date for your laptop. Good luck to you!

Ineedahammer

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
Right, I'm back. I disabled the AV (okay it was just for 10 minutes but still). I shut down everything else. Nope. What does make the dull roar quieter is still, yes, not having internet.

I'll do the BIOS check next.

At least I'm becoming more acquainted with the computer, going from complete ignoramus to just uninformed user :D

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Hey, all is well. It may be worth it to look into exactly what plugins your web browser is using. Adobe or coupon plugins, for example can have some issues causing larger memory usage than needed which will crank up that fan. Try a different browser, or a "vanilla" browser version of what you are using. Also, check in your advanced power settings that your cpu cooling is set to passive if this problem persists with other programs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.