[SOLVED] HP Pavilion G7t-1200 CTO - Max CPU Upgrade...

Nov 12, 2020
1. The manual says I can replace my i3-370m with a cpu as fast as an i7-2620m. But why not an i7-2640m since they are the same 35w TDP?
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i7_Mobile/i7-2620M_(PGA).html

2. If I can go up to the i7-2640m, can I install 16GB of RAM since intel says I can, or am I limited by the mobo?
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-2640m-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html

3. And, can I go up to 45w TDP, like an i7-2860qm from the same list?
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i7_Mobile/i7-2620M_(PGA).html

4. If I can go up to the i7-2860qm, is a cpu fan upgrade available so that it pushes more air than the oem cpu fan?

Solution
Great questions! Looks like you've done some great research too!

1. So I don't see why the 2640m wouldn't work since it is essentially a higher multiplier 2620m:

2. I would definitely try to use 16gb of ram as the original system limits were probably before the larger ram modules were readily available. That being said, I haven't been able to find one instance of someone doing this successfully so either you'll be the first or it isn't possible. Make sure you can return the ram if it doesn't work.

3. I would not move to a higher tdp unless there was a model in the lineup that had a processor with a higher tdp and the higher performance...

1. So I don't see why the 2640m wouldn't work since it is essentially a higher multiplier 2620m:

2. I would definitely try to use 16gb of ram as the original system limits were probably before the larger ram modules were readily available. That being said, I haven't been able to find one instance of someone doing this successfully so either you'll be the first or it isn't possible. Make sure you can return the ram if it doesn't work.

3. I would not move to a higher tdp unless there was a model in the lineup that had a processor with a higher tdp and the higher performance cooler is a 'bolt-in' replacement for your current one. Notebooks are very, very sensitive to heat issues, so generally it is impossible to change to a higher tdp processor.

4. This would be in the service manual. If there are multiple part numbers for cpu coolers, and the laptop was designed for multiple tdp processors, then one of the coolers was a 'high performance' model and you would need that.

I think you're on a solid track to upgrade to the i7-2640m and 16gb of ram if the system accepts 8gb modules. Happy upgrading and let us know what works. :)

Solution
Nov 12, 2020
Thanks, Samir! Gonna order that i7-2640m. I have 2x8gb chips for my Dell E5530, so I will swap and see if they work on the G7.

Nov 12, 2020
4. This would be in the service manual. If there are multiple part numbers for cpu coolers, and the laptop was designed for multiple tdp processors, then one of the coolers was a 'high performance' model and you would need that.

I think you're on a solid track to upgrade to the i7-2640m and 16gb of ram if the system accepts 8gb modules. Happy upgrading and let us know what works. :)
[/QUOTE]

SamirD, I just opened it up and the i3-370M is soldered on, which means the cpu I thought I could upgrade to won't work. The G7 has so many iterations that I guess I have one that won't let me upgrade unless I buy a new motherboard. Oh, well. Gonna wrap it up and just sell it with an SSD for improved speed.