ahsum_gulzar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hi.. A few days back I bought the Hp pavilion p6440jp.. The windows 7 processor experience was 7.0 at that time but I reinstalled the windows because I wanted a fresh windows.. well, now when i re-run the assessment it gives 6.9 rating and Ive seen in the internet that the processor i5-650 gives 7.2 windows 7 rating.
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

My PC specifications are:

Intel Core i5 650, 3.2Ghz 4MB cache, 1333Mhz FSB
4GB DDR3 1333Mhz FSB Ram
500Gb segate 7200Rpm Baracuda hardrive SATA II(3GB/s)
I have no graphic card right now so its running on intel HD graphics..

And I also want to buy a new graphic card. Im a big fan of AMD but Ive seen that Nvidia is a bit better than AMD as in CUDA and Physx technology. Should I buy the GTX 560ti or HD 6870?? and also please tell me that can i go for the latest 7000 series AMD graphics and the 600 series Nvidia.. They have PCi express X16 3.0 interface and my motherboard has 2.0 interface. So kindly suggest me on this too..

Waiting for reply.....

The Windows experience index uses the lowest score of the different components of your computer for its final score. So although your processor may have a score of 7.2 and your graphics score 6.9 the lowest score is the headline score. It is not unusual for the score to vary 0.1 from run to run of the benchmark depending on what the computer is doing at the time.

"And I also want to buy a new graphic card." I like this ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

"Im a big fan of AMD but Ive seen that Nvidia is a bit better than AMD as in CUDA and Physx technology." are you apt to use CUDA or openCL or openAC or ... If not then ignore. IF so then CUDA and openAC are nvidia only, OpenCL is either.

"Should I buy the GTX 560ti or HD 6870??" 560ti is stronger and more expensive. Suggest you look at benchmarks for a few games you play. 560 (not ti) is more comparable to the 6870. BOTH will use more power than you have (Power output wattage = 300 Watt), so plan on a power supply swap. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html If you want to jsut plug in a video card then get one under 110 watts with that 73w processor. To find rough video card wattage google the card name and TDP.

"and also please tell me that can i go for the latest 7000 series AMD graphics and the 600 series Nvidia.. " YES from a PCI bus it's all backward compatible. The card will negotiate back to PCIe 2.1 and you will run fine. No measured performance difference. From power consumption you may need new power supply depending on card.

ahsum_gulzar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I dont know what openAC is, but as compared to Nvidia CUDA ATI has Stream which is i think the same thing
And ive gone through some benchmarks, ATI hd 6870 is quite comparable to the gtx 560ti, I mean in some benchmarks the 6870 has better performance and vice versa.
And there is no issue of power supply. I have a 500Watt coolermaster PSU and that can handle both of them.
And i had comparability issues with hd 6770 with PCI express 1.0, It was not fully compatible: I had installed it and whenever i installed the driver blue scree of death came and it wont let me install the driver even. That's why im asking for the compatibility issues.