[SOLVED] HP Pavilion TX1000 works on power adaptor but not with battery ? Which one is short circuited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2021
Hi,

I have this HP pavilion TX 1000 laptop for years. Suddenly yesterday it doesn't boot so thought low battery and try to charge it. once I connect the power adapter to laptop then led on the power adapter goes off, it's a sign of short circuiting the power adaptor so removed the battery and tried boot the laptop with power adaptor, It booted well. so tried to connect the battery while laptop is powered on then laptop shuts off once i connect the battery.

So there is a short circuit causing this issue, how to check which one is faulty either battery or laptop ?

Thanks

Solution
Lithium batteries tend to have the charging monitoring circuitry inside the battery actually. The charger is just going to be a constant voltage source with some feedback lines to the chip on the battery, it controls power flow by monitoring temperature, etc.

It is possible that is damaged, but you need a known good battery to test this.
Apr 15, 2021
Umm, you have clear evidence the laptop works, so I am not sure the point of your question.

If the battery is beyond its service life, replace it. Or are you suspecting the power brick?

Laptop works fine with power adaptor alone and also checked with other laptop's power adaptor with same power ratings.
The issue is about things get somewhere short circuiting in laptop (while run on power adaptor alone) when inserting laptop's battery.

so my question is short circuit happening whether in laptop's battery power controller unit (which is in laptop motherboard )or battery itself ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Lithium batteries tend to have the charging monitoring circuitry inside the battery actually. The charger is just going to be a constant voltage source with some feedback lines to the chip on the battery, it controls power flow by monitoring temperature, etc.

Reactions: Blissbiy
Solution

A 14 year old laptop with a likely 10+ year old battery. It's the battery.

Reactions: Blissbiy
Status
Not open for further replies.