HP Pavilion XE743 and fdisk

An elderly friend of mine has an HP Pavilion XE743. It has worked pretty
good for her however after a couple of years of course, it now needs a clean
reinstall. She does not have the recovery cd that originally came with the
machine as it was a hand-me-down computer. However, her son did purchase
98SE (retail) and wants the machine completely cleaned and reinstalled. She
has asked me to help her with it, I want to fdisk and reinstall 98SE (OS
that came on the machine) but am leery of doing so because of other HP's
I've seen not recovered after doing so. This particular machine does not
have the recovery partition on the hard drive but instead was shipped with
the cd. Would I be safe in fdisking the thing? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aine

There is no reason why an HP Pavilion cannot have Windows 98 reinstalled. Here
are the things to look out for. They are no different than any other brand of
computer, because HP uses more or less generic parts in all its Pavilions.

1. DO NOT look at the HP web site for software drivers. You won't find them
there. This is one area where HP differs from other name brands such as Dell,
IBM and Gateway.
2. DO have the Windows ceritificate of authentication (COA) information
available to enter when the Win 98 installation asks for it. If there is no COA
sticker on the side of the computer, download and run keyfinder from Jelly Bean
software. This neat little bit of software will tell you the original COA used
to install Windows on the computer.
3. The motherboard uses an Intel 810E chipset. Go to www.intel.com and download
the 810 chipset drivers. They are not on the Windows 98 CD.
4. The modem is "Rockwell Chameleon combo card". You'll need to get the modem
drivers from Rockwell.
5. The Ethernet card is "HP 10/100 BaseT LAN Adapter (Ethernet)", probably a
Realtek chipset, so get the drivers from the Realtek web site.
6. While at the Intel web site, download the GRAPHICS drivers for the built-in
Intel 810 graphics subsystem.
7. Audio is provided by the AMC97 codec built into the "Rockwell Chameleon combo
card". Yep. Rockwell web site again.

If your elderly friend has any of the recovery CDs that came with the system
originally, use them. This will save you the grunt work of finding all the
drivers elsewhere.

You can find more info, but no drivers, for the XE743 at the following URL:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=59785&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph05814

.... Ben Myers

[...]

Ben,

Thanks much for the driver info. I had been to the website but as you
said, found nothing there. My concern was - my neighbor fdisked her HP and
afterwards, even her recovery disks would not work; invalid disks I believe
it said. So I was a bit worried there. However fdisk I will, thanks again
for the driver info - now I don't have to search!

Aine

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Annwn wrote:
> [...]
> combo
> card". Yep. Rockwell web site again.
>
> If your elderly friend has any of the recovery CDs that came with the system
> originally, use them. This will save you the grunt work of finding all the
> drivers elsewhere.
>
> You can find more info, but no drivers, for the XE743 at the following URL:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=59785&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph05814
>
> ... Ben Myers
>

> Ben,
>
> Thanks much for the driver info. I had been to the website but as you
> said, found nothing there. My concern was - my neighbor fdisked her HP and
> afterwards, even her recovery disks would not work; invalid disks I believe
> it said. So I was a bit worried there. However fdisk I will, thanks again
> for the driver info - now I don't have to search!

The drivers may be on the system. Look for a c:\windows\options\cabs\
folder. You may find all the original drivers there.

craigm

"craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message
Annwn wrote:
> [...]
the
> drivers elsewhere.
>
> You can find more info, but no drivers, for the XE743 at the following

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=59785&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph05814

> ... Ben Myers
>

> Ben,
>
> Thanks much for the driver info. I had been to the website but as you
> said, found nothing there. My concern was - my neighbor fdisked her HP and
> afterwards, even her recovery disks would not work; invalid disks I
believe
> it said. So I was a bit worried there. However fdisk I will, thanks again
> for the driver info - now I don't have to search!
>
> Aine

The drivers may be on the system. Look for a c:\windows\options\cabs\
folder. You may find all the original drivers there.

Good idea, I have copied, thanks.

The motherboard BIOS settings ought to have a menu where the "boot order" is
set. The boot order tells the motherboard the order in which it needs to try
different devices to boot the system. If the disk drive has already been
partitioned with fdisk and there is nothing on it, this may well be enough to
prevent the motherboard from attemtping to boot from a restore CD. The solution
is probably to change the boot order. promoting the CD-ROM drive to be checked
first, before the motherboard attempts to boot from the hard disk... Ben Myers

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:20:07 -0500, "Annwn" <annwn1@heat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>combo
>card". Yep. Rockwell web site again.
>
>If your elderly friend has any of the recovery CDs that came with the system
>originally, use them. This will save you the grunt work of finding all the
>drivers elsewhere.
>
>You can find more info, but no drivers, for the XE743 at the following URL:
>
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=59785&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph05814
>
>... Ben Myers
>

>Ben,
>
> Thanks much for the driver info. I had been to the website but as you
>said, found nothing there. My concern was - my neighbor fdisked her HP and
>afterwards, even her recovery disks would not work; invalid disks I believe
>it said. So I was a bit worried there. However fdisk I will, thanks again
>for the driver info - now I don't have to search!

Not to worry, I made *sure* to check this first. <g>