Hp pavillion beeping and will not boot up

twabling

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
My HP started beeping lasting night and it had shutdown but the power button was still lit up. It beeps 1 beep every 2-3 seconds and nothing. I held the power button down and forced a power off the waited a while and turned it back on and the same thing still. The light on the CD lights up and the 3.5 floppy lights up but that is all, no fan noises, no hard drive sounds. Can anyone help me?

Traci

G

You might try looking at the memory slots -- if there's more than one memory stick remove each in turn, restarting each time and see if it come to life. Buy a new memory stick.

twabling

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Tried that, did not work. Unplugged some of the drives and it did nothing still. Unplugged the hard drive and inspected the plug and replugged it, nothing... I popped the battery of the motherboard and tested it, it tested fine, but when I put it back in, the pc booted up on its own without pushing the power button, in fact, the power button was not even lit. My display monitor software came up with an error and closed, my trend micro had an error and closed and when I try to go to the internet it keeps stating that the window had an error and had to be restored. I tried to run Trend Micro again and not working. Booted in Safe Mode, ran TM and no virus or malware found. Does anyone have any clue why this PC has gone nuts????

G

"I popped the battery of the motherboard and tested it, it tested fine, but when I put it back in, the pc booted up on its own without pushing the power button....."

Best not to insert stuff into the motherboard with the wall power connected.

Did you try the BIOS jumper -- shorting that is more effective at clearing a fouled BIOS than just removing the battery for less than a minute. Because there's a capacitor backup (just so you can change the battery without losing settings)..

twabling

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I did lose all my settings, but I think the problem must have been a bad update from Trend Micro. I tried restoring to a different day and it didn't allow it. I tried going into the startup programs and not allowing some of the programs to stop it and from all the rebooting, I received a notice from Trend Micro that it noticed the unstable performance and the numerous shutdowns and it was removing the latest update to fix the problem. Voila! All the issues went away. Is that crazy or what?

G

"BTW I am very limited in my PC repair knowledge. I would not even know how to find the bios to jump it." You may need to take it to a repair guy.

robjohnston

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
This sounds like a motherboard error. When it beeped, how many beeps were there? Was it a constant beeping or a set of three or five beeps? Different beeps in different sequences represent error codes, and allow you to work out what is wrong with the hardware.