HP Pavillion Elite Graphics Upgrade

smthompson87

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
HP Pavillion Elite Graphics card upgrade.

Hello, I recently got this desktop free from a family member who switched to Apple products. Not sure how old it is but i believe it is about 3-4 years old.
Specs:
i7 Processor (950 4 core 3.06GHz)
12gb RAM
1TB Hard Drive
Nvidia GeForce GT 220 Graphics card
(Not sure if it matters but i believe it has 460watt power supply? Forgive me if i butchered that statistic)

I'm looking set it up with Dual Monitors for working on school stuff and gaming. Games i'm looking to be able to play are SWTOR or Diablo 3 (I play other old games but those 2 have the highest requirements)

The Processing Power is there, but for gaming i know the graphics is where the bottleneck is. I'm looking for a relatively cheap upgrade for the graphics but i would like some help/suggestions since i have never upgraded a desktop (or even opened the case on one) and the stats on Graphics cards have always confused me.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Solution
I think it will probably fit. Why don't you open it up and see how much room you have to spare? Order it from amazon so if it doesn't fit, return it. They make returns very easy and pay for the shipping.

smthompson87

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Will the GTX 750 TI fit in my desktop? It shows the 750 at 5.7 inches in length and double slot compared to the GT 220 at 6.6 inches length and single slot? The height is the same

iballew

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
I think it will probably fit. Why don't you open it up and see how much room you have to spare? Order it from amazon so if it doesn't fit, return it. They make returns very easy and pay for the shipping.

Solution

smthompson87

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

So does anyone have input on which one to get? And should i look for 2gb or 1?
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclock-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3IDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418827995&sr=8-1&keywords=geforce+gtx+750+ti
This one here has 3 options, GTX 750 TI, GTX 750 TI Superclock, and then one that has 2 fans(which i don't need and probably dont have room for.

Thanks, that is the last question i think i have

iballew

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
The more graphics memory you have, the better. Super clocked means it is overclocked (faster) from the factory. The dual fans are not needed for the gtx 750 because it is a very cool running card.