Question HP Pavillion won't recognize 2nd monitor - Says "display 2 isn't active" in the advanced display menu ?

Citysurvivor

Reputable
May 22, 2017
My Windows 10 HP Pavilion laptop (link to specs) won't recognize my 2nd monitor (link to specs) when I plug it in. I have tried multiple displays but the laptop always says "Display 2 isn't active" in the advanced display options. The monitors say "no video input", and in Device Manager, the 2nd monitor shows up as a "Generic PNP Monitor".

Things I've tried:
  • Pressing the Windows key + P shortcut to use the Project menu - No change.
  • Restarting and unplugging the monitor and laptop from the wall - No change.
  • Unplugging everything from my laptop except the monitor and then rebooting - No change.
  • Uninstalling the monitor's driver in Device Manager and then restarting (to auto-reinstall the driver) - No change.
  • Going to Windows update, opening "optional updates", and installing all the display and monitor-related driver updates - No change.
Note: I use a HDMI-to-VGA adapter to connect my laptop's HDMI port to the monitor's VGA port. I know that the adapter, cables, and monitor work because they worked instantly on another laptop when I plugged them in. So it seems like my laptop is the culprit.

Any ideas?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS