Question HP pc fans spin for half a second, then computer turns off and fans stop spinning

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Ok so I have an HP computer that I had upgraded the power supply to a 430 watt about 2 years ago. I had paired it with a gt 1030 and I upgraded it to be safe since nvidia recommends atleast 300 watts. So it worked for 2 years with no problems. However now I removed the power supply as I am waiting for another one to arrive, and since the 430 watt one made a really loud whirring noise I decided to swap the psu with the old hp 180 watt that came with it. When I did this, everything went fine until I powered it on, it did not power on at all. My components are low powered, I have a 55 watt intel core i3 7100, and a gt 1030. I also have a 1 tb samsung 980 with it and the cpu and exhaust fan. Strange I thought, so I removed the GT 1030 and tried to use the intel integrated graphics, this time the fans started to spin for half a second then the turned off and the pc did not power on. What did I do?

EDIT: I made sure that all of the case cables were plugged in such as the power button cable and other cables that i don't know what it does but I plugged it in its original spot. Still no avail.

Ralston18

Titan

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
According to Newegg wattage calculator, even with the GT 1030, it does not exceed 180 watts, but instead 155 watts. Also not to mention I have removed the GT 1030 from the system and still didn't work, even though when I originally bought it, it worked just fine with the intel core i3 7100 only and with 1 tb hdd and the single 8 gig stick of ram.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
As I understand your post your are going lower with PSU wattage when the requirement is to be going higher with PSU wattage.

FYI:

https://techwithtech.com/psu-too-weak/

Best Power Supplies of 2022 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Apply 2 or 3 of the calculators provided via the second link.

Determine the appropriate wattage for your build. Provide extra wattage for future growth and purchase a quality PSU.
I put back the original 430 watt power supply, and it still does not power on! What do I do? Is my pc done forever?

Ralston18

Titan
Perhaps that 430 watt PSU has a problem.

I truly hope that your pc is "not done forever".

Just for the record list what PSUs have been installed: make, model, wattage, etc..

= = = =

Calculate the necessary wattage by using at least two or three of the calculators provided via the Tom's Hardware link.

If a component has a range of wattage values then use the high end value. If a GPU has a recommended PSU wattage I start with that value for the GPU.

Did you happen to mix and match in power cables (if modular) from other PSUs?

Make, model, and revision for motherboard?

Go online to the motherboard manufacturer's website and find the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual.

Use the manual to double check all connections, card seatings, RAM, and jumpers.

Read carefully and pay attention to all warnings and fine print. Read the applicable installation guides for all other installed components as well.

Double check everything. Carefully and methodically.

Could be, hopefully, that there is just some error of omission or commission preventing the pc from powering on.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Perhaps that 430 watt PSU has a problem.

I truly hope that your pc is "not done forever".

Just for the record list what PSUs have been installed: make, model, wattage, etc..

= = = =

Calculate the necessary wattage by using at least two or three of the calculators provided via the Tom's Hardware link.

If a component has a range of wattage values then use the high end value. If a GPU has a recommended PSU wattage I start with that value for the GPU.

Did you happen to mix and match in power cables (if modular) from other PSUs?

Make, model, and revision for motherboard?

Go online to the motherboard manufacturer's website and find the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual.

Use the manual to double check all connections, card seatings, RAM, and jumpers.

Read carefully and pay attention to all warnings and fine print. Read the applicable installation guides for all other installed components as well.

Double check everything. Carefully and methodically.

Could be, hopefully, that there is just some error of omission or commission preventing the pc from powering on.
Tried the 430 watt thermaltake again, just with intel core i3 7100 , single stick of 2666 mhz ram, and my 1 tb samsung ssd. No avail. Plugged in the hp oem 180 watt power supply, no avail either. I suspect that the problem is not the power supplies but rather either the motherboard (which I hope not), or the power button connector. Could this be? If so how can I fix it? BTW, I can post images if needed.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model motherboard?

Again, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and find the applicable User Guide/Manual.

Read the manual and double check all connections and configurations accordingly.

Pay close attention to all fine print and warnings.

Work through any troubleshooting instructions. Do so carefully and methodically.

Any lit LED's at all - anywhere?

Are you sure there is power at the wall outlet or other power source for the pc?

Install a known working PSU of at least 500 Watts. Do not mix and match in PSU cables from other PSU's.

It could be the case power switch.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
After testing both my power supplies, I conclude that it is not a power supply problem. When connecting my 430 watt thermaltake, the fans also spin up but only for around 1 second along wjth the cpu and the exhaust fan. I tested the other hp power supply with 180 watts (both were tested with just the cpu and ram installed, no gpu) same thing. The hp power supply lights up a green light too, so I think this means the power supply is working. The power switch seems to power on rhe system so I don't think it's that. So that leaves me with just the motherboard. Could this be the problem? If yes, how can I fix it? I am very frustrated trying to get this things fans to just spin.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Make and model motherboard?

Again, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and find the applicable User Guide/Manual.

Read the manual and double check all connections and configurations accordingly.

Pay close attention to all fine print and warnings.

Work through any troubleshooting instructions. Do so carefully and methodically.

Any lit LED's at all - anywhere?

Are you sure there is power at the wall outlet or other power source for the pc?

Install a known working PSU of at least 500 Watts. Do not mix and match in PSU cables from other PSU's.

It could be the case power switch.
Also to be sure that they were in fact working, i performed the paper Clip test. Both power supplies worked.

EDIT: My motherboard is the hp 82f2 one (Hp lubin 82f2). Please note I am not an expert and I only understand basic computer stuff.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately, lit LED's, the paper clip test, etc. do not necessarily eliminate the PSUs.

A PSU may appear to work fine and may work fine if the power demands are not too great and/or changing rapidly.

What you need is a known working PSU of at least 500 watts. Install and test.

Another test (not a full test) is to use a multi-meter to check the PSU's output voltages.

However, to do so you need a multi-meter and must know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Again, not a full test because the PSU is not under load. Any voltages out of tolerance - then the PSU is indeed suspect.

Also, for more information about PSUs:

Best Power Supplies of 2022 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Use the calculators to verify that the installed PSU is capable of supporting your pc.

Keep in mind that even if the PSU's wattage is a match and older PSU may be failing and no longer able to deliver that wattage along any given voltage rail.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
But how could it just stop working when I removed it? It worked just fine until I added it again and then it stopped working. I don't have multimeter or a 500 watt power supply, and I don't know anyone who has a spare power supply that is atleast 500 watts. By the way, is there any way to check if the mobo is working properly?

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Unfortunately, lit LED's, the paper clip test, etc. do not necessarily eliminate the PSUs.

A PSU may appear to work fine and may work fine if the power demands are not too great and/or changing rapidly.

What you need is a known working PSU of at least 500 watts. Install and test.

Another test (not a full test) is to use a multi-meter to check the PSU's output voltages.

However, to do so you need a multi-meter and must know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Again, not a full test because the PSU is not under load. Any voltages out of tolerance - then the PSU is indeed suspect.

Also, for more information about PSUs:

Use the calculators to verify that the installed PSU is capable of supporting your pc.

Keep in mind that even if the PSU's wattage is a match and older PSU may be failing and no longer able to deliver that wattage along any given voltage rail.
Alright I have really tried everything possible at the time without spending money. Nothing. I will try to clear the cmos battery but doubt it will do much. At this point, I can pretty much say its done for unless I spend more than the pc is worth for repairs (possibly new motherboard). However there is one component I want tor recover and that is the 1 TB m.2 ssd in it, but my current pc only has one pcie slot and it has windows installed on it with all the apps photos and stuff and i was wondering (if possible) that I can recover this ssd and put it in my new system?

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Did you reseat the RAM sticks ? If the system doesn´t boot at all, it might as well have something to do with other components than the PSU or the hard drive. I have only had such a problem ( computer won´t start at all ) with some old faulty DDR3 RAM. Check if it works, by reseating it and using the sticks seperately, maybe in a different configuration, in case just one of them is broken.
Do you have a backup of your m.2 ssd ? If not, i can recommend that for future projects.

Ralston18

Titan
Not likely to work if you install the m.2 as the boot drive on a new motherboard.

With a new motherboard you will probably need a fresh reinstall of Windows on the m.2 it is unlikely that the m.2 will install and boot.

If you try to do all data may be lost in the process....

To recover the data on the m.2 you will probably need to install the m.2 in some sort of m.2 external enclosure. Next connect the enclosure to another computer.

Then copy the necessary data directories and files to some other drive. Be sure to verify that the backup copies are recoverable and readable.

Once the data is safe you can proceed with reinstalling Windows etc..

For more information:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Not likely to work if you install the m.2 as the boot drive on a new motherboard.

With a new motherboard you will probably need a fresh reinstall of Windows on the m.2 it is unlikely that the m.2 will install and boot.

If you try to do all data may be lost in the process....

To recover the data on the m.2 you will probably need to install the m.2 in some sort of m.2 external enclosure. Next connect the enclosure to another computer.

Then copy the necessary data directories and files to some other drive. Be sure to verify that the backup copies are recoverable and readable.

Once the data is safe you can proceed with reinstalling Windows etc..

For more information:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/
Thank you for the ssd help. Yes, I tried reseated my ram sticks, and even for test purposes removed a 4 gb stick from my current pc and tested it with that, nothing. BTW I don't really care about data wiping the ssd, the only things there was the windows os and a couple of games like R6s and Battlefield, which are already installed in my current pc.