HP PC won't even allow going to BIOS when SSD connected

2277abdullah

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I have hp 510-p009 PC (Specs: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05150256 ) running windows 10 for which I wanted to upgrade the HDD to SSD. I bought Samsung 850 Pro SSD.
I cloned windows successfully using USB3-SATA cable; replaced the HDD but PC won’t boot..It won’t even allow me to go to BIOS! It gets stuck at black screen with (press ESC key for startup menu) but pressing ESC will do nothing!

After spending MANY hours trying everything, I found that the PC will boot normally as long as the SSD is not connected to the motherboard via SATA (whether or not it has anything in it) !!..I have tried everything you can think of!

for example: I formatted the SSD using another computer (now empty), connected it instead of the DVD drive via SATA2 and let the HDD connected via SATA1 as how the PC came. (I have only two SATA ports in my MB). The BIOS is set to boot from the HDD..PC won’t boot!! I connected another hard drive I have instead of the SSD and the PC boots normally as it should!

I know the SSD is good because I cloned the system of another computer (windows 7 tho) that I have and I installed it in that computer and the system boots fine from the SSD!
Note: windows and BIOS are updated to the latest versions.
Is there compatibility issue with my HP and Samsung SSD that the PC won’t boot when the SSD connected even if it is just connected as peripheral while empty?!!

The summary:
my HP won’t boot or allow me to go to the BIOS when the SSD is connected directly to the MB via SATA under ANY circumstance regardless of the BIOS setting and regardless of whether SSD is empty or not! Even if the SSD is connected instead of the DVD drive and the boot priority is set to boot from the HDD, it won’t boot. disconnecting the SSD or connecting it via usb, or connecting another drive, PC works fine..
This is driving me insane. Please please Help!!

Solution
Accessing the BIOS is called Posting.
Accessing the OS is Booting.

Can you press delete continuously to get to the BIOS and change your SSD to the main boost device?