HP Photosmart ink smear

frank

Is there anyway to get around the ink smearing on HP Photosmart printers.?
I use their premium 4x6 paper and tried setting ink volume down to minimum,
but if you have a wet thumb, it'll still smear. Is this characteristic of
the HP printers and ink.?

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:53:14 +0000, Frank wrote:

> Is there anyway to get around the ink smearing on HP Photosmart printers.?
> I use their premium 4x6 paper and tried setting ink volume down to minimum,
> but if you have a wet thumb, it'll still smear. Is this characteristic of
> the HP printers and ink.?

Ofcourse, HP inks are water soluble.

So Always Remeber: Don't Get It Wet!

frank

With HP inks being water soluble, does that mean pigment ink would be a
better choice.?

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 05:35:02 +0000, Frank wrote:

> With HP inks being water soluble, does that mean pigment ink would be a
> better choice.?

Pigment ink does smear slightly when wet, nowhere near as much as
water-soluble inks and they do not bleed when wet, once they have dried.
Also, they don't fade for a very long time and do not bleach in the sun as
rapidly.

Pigment ink is a good choice for documents or images that may get wet or
which will be archived.

frank

Would you say one has better color than the other.? Like better skin tones
or deep reds.?

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:36:21 +0000, Frank wrote:

> Would you say one has better color than the other.? Like better skin
> tones or deep reds.?

I am not an inkjet expert.

Canon's photo ink is pigment. It's regular ink is not. The photo ink looks
a little better in photos even though they are the same colors. Perhaps
it's that the photo ink does not bleed as much at very fine resolutions?

As for HP, I do not know, as I no longer use HP inkjets.

I have seen "rave" reviews of certain colour inkjets and how well they
reproduce colours only to find that they really don't do as well as
claimed either by the reviewer or by the manufacturer. The only ones to
come anywhere close to what was claimed were the high-end 12+ colour
inkjets.

You would most likely be the best one to determine which is better for
you.

=-=