Question HP + plan differences ?

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
what's the difference between the ink plans and toner plans in HP + service? which one gets me my ink when i need it? ink and toner are the same thing so are they both going to deliver the cartridges with paper? they only mention the paper

Ralston18

Titan
HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 printer here. About 18 months old.

According to the printer's reports and the dates on paper reams I print about 100 pages a month. About half our paper use is actually copying various documents.

Ink cartridge sets (large black, regular cyan, magenta, and yellow) are the most economical buy at a local Staples. Still the set now costs over $100.00 USD and usage seemed to go through two sets in a year. Cartridges rarely run out of ink at the same time so overlapping occurs. And stock outages are more frequent.

About a month ago, I signed up for the $6.00 (USD) per month HP ink plan. Costs should be $72.00 / year for ink. (No paper included.)

Received the first set of ink cartridges when the printer reported a low ink cartridge. Full set and the monthly billing began when the first ink cartridge from that set was installed and duly reported to HP by the printer.

I will be keeping a very close eye on ink and paper consumption. I do not use HP paper because it costs about 2 1/2 times as much as standard Staples copy paper which works quite well for our needs. May be using a bit more ink though.

HP as well as the other printer manufacturers are very good at gaming the system when it comes to ink consumption and maximizing the profits therein. I discovered some some months ago that slightly used new ink cartridges (OEM) from a neighbor using the same Part/Number cartridges would not work in my printer.

Unfortunately, it will take probably take a few months to determine if the HP monthly ink plan really saves me money or not.

However, per @Mandark my next printer is going to be a color laser. And probably some other manufacturer....