HP Planning to Beat Apple in Tablet Pricing War

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I am not really sure that a full feature OS will be much of an advantage. Manufacturers seem to keep trying to adapt devices to operating systems that are not meant for that form factor and input/output methods. I would say it is a sane time to ask, do we want just a smaller type of computer to run a generic OS, or do we need devices that are optimized to preform certain tasks in their own way. Instead of bending a OS to suit the limitations of and advantages of a certain type of device, manufacturers in my opinion should seek a closer relationship between software and hardware, and through that convergence give products more purpose and make them stand out as unique devices.

Just my 2 cents.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Seriously, Jane, more articles on Apple and yet no information on this:
http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/02/17/reporter-roughed-up-by-apple-supplier/

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
While windows 7 isn't designed for tablet, but with the touch pack it is perfectly usable with a touch screen device (maybe not as professional work but that is what third party apps are for).

I have a acer aspire 5738PG that has a fixed screen with touch input, and it works great when I'm in bed and just use it to browse the internet or to annotate notes in class, but I will not use the virtual keyboard when the real full sized one is just under it.

And IMO multi-tasking will kill ipad, If I can't listen to music, download a new app, read and annotate a pdf, while the device is doing background tasks like updates, I don't the the touch gimmick will work that much.

G

A fully featured OS is VERY much an advantage. Anything I can do with my computer at home I'm going to be able to do on my Slate... With Apple Ipad you won't even be able to multitask.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I don't think the competition between iPad and HPpad will be on price alone. I think it will be based on "cool factor", apps, who already has and likes the iPhone, etc. It's almost like these devices will be aimed at different markets. OTOH I already have a small portable laptop so I don't need a touch-screen PCpad, they would do basically the same thing. I might find an interest in the iPad because it is a different device with different functionality.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
They announced it first but it's still not released? Only that it will be sometime in 2010. And they're announcing a 2nd version too. Come on. Show us the honey before you talk about the money.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Everyone in the world has beaten Apple in the price war. It's stupid to keep trying that tactic. You really just need to develop a sense of snotty superiority that your products magically endow on your customers. At that point they'll buy anything. This won't work, just like it doesn't work for computers. Thankfully Apple's market share doesn't match up with their popularity.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Is anyone actually interested in these tablets? Any particular reason why? If so, what warrants the high price tag that you can't do on an Ipod Touch, netbook, notebook, or desktop?

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Gulli[/nom]Sarcasm mode/ Beating Apple at pricing, now there's a challenge... /sarcasm mode[/citation]
That's what I was going to say. You beat me to it.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
If HP is running Windows, it;s no comparison. There's no way they're going to get a machine out that can do 720P/1080P video, over wireless, for 10 hours, running Windows, but far more importantly, even if they could, the device form apple is NOT a tablet computer, it;s an instant gratification, always on, media and communication platform. Windows doens't do shit when it's hibernating, the iPad is till communicating, with 30 days of standby time... and it comes on instantly, which Windows also clearly does not do. THAT is what makes the iPad valuable. Further, and HP tables is going to need antivirus, patching, maintenance, and expensive windows application licenses, where the iPad apps can be used on 5 devices and cost an average of a couple dollars.

to undercut the app and manitenanve value position, and offset the lack of convenience and gratification of the iPad, the HP tablet would have to be faster at the same tasks (not a faster CPU, but MUCH faster, as windows is a resource hog), and is going to have to have all the GPU performance as well. It would have to be under $300 to be areal value to me, without contract or subsidy, and still offer $29 contract-free pre-paid unlimited network access...

...and Apple has already made public that their price is easily flexible.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]If HP is running Windows, it;s no comparison. There's no way they're going to get a machine out that can do 720P/1080P video, over wireless, for 10 hours, running Windows, but far more importantly, even if they could, the device form apple is NOT a tablet computer, it;s an instant gratification, always on, media and communication platform. Windows doens't do shit when it's hibernating, the iPad is till communicating, with 30 days of standby time... and it comes on instantly, which Windows also clearly does not do. THAT is what makes the iPad valuable. Further, and HP tables is going to need antivirus, patching, maintenance, and expensive windows application licenses, where the iPad apps can be used on 5 devices and cost an average of a couple dollars. to undercut the app and manitenanve value position, and offset the lack of convenience and gratification of the iPad, the HP tablet would have to be faster at the same tasks (not a faster CPU, but MUCH faster, as windows is a resource hog), and is going to have to have all the GPU performance as well. It would have to be under $300 to be areal value to me, without contract or subsidy, and still offer $29 contract-free pre-paid unlimited network access... ...and Apple has already made public that their price is easily flexible.[/citation]

Keep this quote from Abraham Lincoln in mind next time you feel like commenting in any public forum:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Based on the breakdown of the cost for making the iPad vs the price Apple is asking for it, it's not exactly going to be difficult to beat Apple in price, performance, and usability.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]whiz[/nom]I am not really sure that a full feature OS will be much of an advantage[/citation]
My motto is
"Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"
I am watching a few episodes of my fav TV show and friend asks my to drop it onto a USB drive, or even burn it onto a USB DVD.
Maybe someone emails me an Excel spreadsheet and wants me to amend a few figures, perhaps proof and edit a Word file as well before sending it back.
I will need fully functional USB ports as well as a copy of MS Office, Nero (or other DVD writer program).
For this I will need a real OS, not a kids toy.
If I can get this cheaper than the Apple product, all the better.
In the retail world, more for less ALWAYS wins.

ordos96

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
If i find myself with a couple hundred dollars of extra cash that i can't invest better elsewhere i would buy one of these, but for now, i think that the money would be much better spent pay my car off early or put into savings for a new house.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]If HP is running Windows, it;s no comparison. There's no way they're going to get a machine out that can do 720P/1080P video, over wireless, for 10 hours, running Windows, but far more importantly, even if they could, the device form apple is NOT a tablet computer, it;s an instant gratification, always on, media and communication platform. Windows doens't do shit when it's hibernating, the iPad is till communicating, with 30 days of standby time... and it comes on instantly, which Windows also clearly does not do. THAT is what makes the iPad valuable. Further, and HP tables is going to need antivirus, patching, maintenance, and expensive windows application licenses, where the iPad apps can be used on 5 devices and cost an average of a couple dollars. to undercut the app and manitenanve value position, and offset the lack of convenience and gratification of the iPad, the HP tablet would have to be faster at the same tasks (not a faster CPU, but MUCH faster, as windows is a resource hog), and is going to have to have all the GPU performance as well. It would have to be under $300 to be areal value to me, without contract or subsidy, and still offer $29 contract-free pre-paid unlimited network access... ...and Apple has already made public that their price is easily flexible.[/citation]
If the iPad CPU is so much faster, how come it can't multitask?
Plus I have timed a Win7 come out of hibernate from an SSD at under 30 seconds, maybe not instant but totally acceptable seing as booting cold I can also do in about 45 seconds on an SSD.
Dont forget those Apple Apps may only be a couple of dollars but you have no other option and are forced to pay, whilst with a single install of Win7 I have access to millions of bits of legitimate freeware as well as all the dodgy cracked software that is available too.
Oh, and I wil be able to play Vector TD on Candystand before watching "lolcats" videos on Youtube seeing as it will be able to run Flash. As far as having always on internet access, even if it isn't built in i'm sure that the contract or the pay-as-you-go USB 3G dongles will serve up internet exactly the same way, without the trouble of being forced to use the 3G carrier the Apple make you use I can go for a 3G carrier to suit my budget.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Plus I have timed a Win7 come out of hibernate from an SSD at under 30 seconds, maybe not instant but totally acceptable seing as booting cold I can also do in about 45 seconds on an SSD.[/citation]
Are you sure it took that long? My Windows 7 machine comes out of hibernate in less than 5 seconds and boots from POST in about 30 seconds. I'm not running a crazy fast system. Just a Core 2 Duo E8600 with 4GB of RAM and a WD Caviar 7200rpm hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.