HP Possibly Releasing Ultrabooks This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
HP needs to revive voodooPC. They made what was essentially an "ultrabook" as their last product several years ago, and I'd love to see similarly high-quality product with more modern components. Hp branded systems with voodoo slapped on as a sidenote just dont have the same "oomph" as a new voodoo system.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
No DVD drive?

Thanks, but I'll pass. The only notebook like this that I want is a ThinkPad X300/X301 since that's the only ultralight notebook I know that has that option.

Because I'm not lugging an external drive around with a notebook that slick.

Practically speaking, though, a laptop without a DVD drive is hardly a laptop at all.

Unfortunately, form is secondary to function in my mind, and that's why I don't see these things selling par Intel's projections. I need a DVD drive to do what I want to do with my laptop, like watch the odd movie and install software quickly instead of using Steam to download 8 GB of files.

Plus, why bother with that when you can get a tablet that does the same thing for the same price? I'd see something like this taking off if you could fold the computer like you do a traditional tablet PC, but other than that I don't think this is a super great innovation.

And I can see that thing breaking very very easily, by a wayward foot stepping on it. I don't think that's a great quality in a new piece of tech like this.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Tablets dont do the same thing, basic problem is they dont have a keyboard, but they also dont have processing power or a "normal" OS.

I don't see what the problem with no DVD drive is. You'll obviously need an external drive once every few months to install something, but otherwise I don't see the point. I haven't used my own DVD drive for years.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
yeah, I second removing the disk drive. I don't ever use those things anymore. I don't even have one in my desktop currently even though I have a drive lying about 2 feet away just because I can't see the reason. Removing those drives from notebooks shaves off weight, add space for plugs and cooling and more room for other more useful devices like a high-end graphics card. You have to remember that in a notebook space is at a premium and CD drives are huge

G

Ah yes, the ultra-book... Intel's CPUs haven't seen any performance increase since Nehalem (unless synthetics and poor quality video encoding are your thing), so let's take the same ancient CULV platform, and call it some snazzy name like "Ultra Book", and maybe some sucker will side-grade his current laptop for it.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I love this idea. Make the battery life last a day and I'm sold. Portability and practicality of a notebook in a sexy thin form factor.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I love this idea. Make the battery life last a day and I'm sold. Portability and practicality of a notebook in a sexy thin form factor.[/citation]

Sorry, not possible without a huge battery. Wait until nano-technology infused lithium ion batteries arrive to market for that kind of battery life.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
While I'm never going to buy a tablet, I'm REALLY not going to buy something that does the same thing, but with a keyboard for twice the price, Windows OS or not. If you want a web-browsing computer you can use work software with, buy a 3-4 year old laptop for 400 dollars and use that like I did. No reason at all to buy something like this.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
DVD drive isn't used often (except for ripping RedBox ISOs). I like the concept of using it as a place for another harddrive. I think they even make a 2.5" caddy that takes on the slimDVD form factor. USB DVD is good enough. I am guessing USB3 will be good for Blueray.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I agree with one part of that long winded negative comment above - I think they should design these as completely foldable laptops so that can "convert" into a tablet like feel. Part of the appeal of the tablet is not having to open something on your lap or desk in order to work - meaning being able to work walk walking or laying down with a fully functional touch screen. Companies have tried "Tablet PC's" in the past, and they were garbage because they were under powered. But with the advancements of today's processors - I realy think it's time to revisit that style.

Oh yes, I am too am all for getting rid of the CD Drive. Software/Game developers needs to package their products differently. Pack a cheap 512mb jump drive (or larger if the install requires it) in the retail box instead of a CD, and offer the customer a mail in rebate if he/she wants to send the drive back to them to be reused. That way you are getting away from traditional large CD's, but aren't relying on downloading a package if your internet is slow, or you are subject to a tiered data program (thank you (NOT) verizon).

G

Say no to Foxconn. Foxconn employees are subjected to horrible work conditions and there is a high suicide rate. So high in fact, Foxconn placed nets from building to building to prevent further suicides.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Say no to Foxconn. Foxconn employees are subjected to horrible work conditions and there is a high suicide rate. So high in fact, Foxconn placed nets from building to building to prevent further suicides.[/citation]

Here are the companies Foxconn dips their hands into:
Apple Inc., Acer Inc., Amazon.com, Asus, ASRock, Intel, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Nintendo, Nokia, Microsoft, MSI, Sony, and Vizio.

So, you buy any of those products, than your not saying no to Foxconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.