[SOLVED] HP printer color adjustment, possible?

exploradorgt

Commendable
Feb 20, 2020
Hi there, I'm about to buy a printer for a special task, I'm considering HP for a variety of reasons, included the fact the y are cheap and the printer will be tortured, probably ending in the trash can at the end of the task.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I need to know if cheap printers like the HP 1110 series allow color adjustments, this include the 1115 (because they are basically the same).

I'm mainly interested on adjusting:
  • brightness and contrast
  • color in terms of intensity
  • color balance is not too important right now

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I have to print some complex PDFs that I didn't create. The whole documents are TOO DARK. I'm able to adjust the brightness, contrast, color intensity and density easily on Canon, Brother and Epson, but can't do this on HP, somehow this feature is not available and I do have the original up to date software suite. I could print those documents fast, in the blink of an eye on my fastest HP but it would consume lots of ink and etc, long story, as said it's an special task, those details are off topic, not relevant right now.

I remember having 2 HP printers series 1110 and another one from the 21xx series, I do remember those allowed you to adjust the color, but I don't remember to what extent and if brightness and contrast was allowed. Fair to say some HP printers do not allow this. So, those models are cheap but I don't want to go to the store, buy one and discover this feature is not there, and most stores won't install a printer to let you see the features.

I will appreciate any help on this, thanks in advance.

Solution
Sometimes with older printers HP will revert to a generic driver as windows goes to a new version. They then drop features. HP really doesn't make a profit on the printers themselves. It's the ink where they make the money. So they have a tendency to keep supporting older printers, but only generically, as long as you keep buying ink.

But I'm surprised you don't have a tab like this...
cs5-profile-print-hp-color.gif

exploradorgt

Commendable
Feb 20, 2020
Thanks @digitalgriffin , do you have one? in that case, what model? if you happen to have one I would appreciate a screenshot.

I checked DPReview but those models are not listed and the ones I found had limited information (very... limited), not what I'm looking for. I'm familiar with the site, I use it for camera reviews. (ADDED: will post the question there too, on the printers forum thanks)

Epson allows me this, a bit different depending the model but it does have the features I need:
color_correct_windows_bus.jpg

Brother:
w6uShrV.jpg

And Canon:
sWRk3Xo.jpg

Thanks.

Thanks @digitalgriffin , do you have one? in that case, what model? if you happen to have one I would appreciate a screenshot.

I checked DPReview but those models are not listed and the ones I found had limited information (very... limited), not what I'm looking for. I'm familiar with the site, I use it for camera reviews. (ADDED: will post the question there too, on the printers forum thanks)

Epson allows me this, a bit different depending the model but it does have the features I need:
color_correct_windows_bus.jpg

Brother:
w6uShrV.jpg

And Canon:
sWRk3Xo.jpg

Thanks.
I had color profiles for the HP Photosmart 7960. The thing was the best photo printer I had for YEARS. Sadly the feed mechanism is wearing so I use it only for 4x6 prints now. But yes, it came with a color profile you could adjust.

exploradorgt

Commendable
Feb 20, 2020
I had color profiles for the HP Photosmart 7960. The thing was the best photo printer I had for YEARS. Sadly the feed mechanism is wearing so I use it only for 4x6 prints now. But yes, it came with a color profile you could adjust.
Thanks, will see if I can find that one or similar models. I'm aware (I've read) that family of Photosmart came out great with awesome features, and being able to tweak the output to deal with special papers.

In the meantime I will appreciate info on the other mentioned models being more easy to find at present day.

Sometimes with older printers HP will revert to a generic driver as windows goes to a new version. They then drop features. HP really doesn't make a profit on the printers themselves. It's the ink where they make the money. So they have a tendency to keep supporting older printers, but only generically, as long as you keep buying ink.

Solution

exploradorgt

Commendable
Feb 20, 2020
Sometimes with older printers HP will revert to a generic driver as windows goes to a new version. They then drop features.
That's very interesting. I've had lots of diff HP printer models from diff families: Business, Deskjet, Ink Advantage, and derivations such as Pro and Plus, etc.

My HP 8100 Pro has exactly the same features as the HP 8600 Pro Plus (except the scanner), but my point is: none of those include advanced features allowing such adjustments. I remember having other models where such features were available but never actually needed them, so I don't know (impossible to remember) to what extent I could tweak it.

What you mention would explain the differences. Perhaps downgrading to an older printer driver would help and make those available in those models.

Yup, I don't have it.

XCJpKgc.jpg

PFKK71F.jpg

0JnZBRD.jpg

I've been able to use color matching functions (tied to the operative system: profiles) on Epson and also on Canon, the Brother printers don't show such tab BUT I can apply modifications to those printers just as any other device via the OS functions (Windows color management).

Yet HP seems elusive. I could apply profiles using the global option (to the HP printer) this way:

ybzervw.jpg

BUT that wouldn't allow me precise control to tweak it and deal with the ink levels. I actually need the sliders.

Your post has been quite helpful and brought information that I didn't know, thanks. I will keep researching, it's possible that I will be able to put my hands on one recent HP printer to see if it has such features, if this is there I will buy it, let's see what the weekend brings.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS