Question HP Probook 640 G1 ctrl, alt, shift keys stop working

Nov 8, 2022
both ctrl, shift and alt keys stop working without any warning. sometimes they work, but most times they do not. do i need to get a new keyboard or is there a fix.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version. Then use keyboardtester and see if there are any keys that are depressed impeding other keys from being registered by the laptop. you could remove the keycaps and inspect the key switch for any dust or debris that might be impeding the press but often times people ending up damaging the keyboard.

To me the usual answer to a keyboard with seemingly malfunctioning keys is to replace it with a new keyboard meant for the laptop.

Nov 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version. Then use keyboardtester and see if there are any keys that are depressed impeding other keys from being registered by the laptop. you could remove the keycaps and inspect the key switch for any dust or debris that might be impeding the press but often times people ending up damaging the keyboard.

To me the usual answer to a keyboard with seemingly malfunctioning keys is to replace it with a new keyboard meant for the laptop.
the keys are not triggering on keyboardtester.