[SOLVED] Hp prodesk 600 g3 sff to gaming rig

alkingrey

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012
Rig has a i5-7500 and 16gb ram.
Need to know what PSU to buy. And if the following case will work.
Was looking into Deepcool Tesseract case and a 1650 gpu
It's a starter build for a friend's son.
Help plz

Last edited:
Solution
Honestly, you're really going to need a new motherboard too. Parts from prebuilt SFF PCs are generally awful for turning into any kind of gaming machine. This motherboard doesn't work with a standard PSU so you'll have to buy a 6-pin HP PSU adapter, but the PCIE slot can only supply 35W, not the standard 75W -- SFFs are notorious for this -- and even with supplementary power, getting this to work can be a giant headache.

You can get H110 motherboards used on eBay for $25-$45.
Really any psu above maybe 250W. Since no reputable unit is rated for 250W, you'll probably need to get a 450W unit. An evga bronze rated unit or a Corsair CX450M would be sufficient.

If you want to leave some room to upgrade to a better gpu, you can get a 550W unit, and here I'd say get at least a CXM or TXM unit.

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, you're really going to need a new motherboard too. Parts from prebuilt SFF PCs are generally awful for turning into any kind of gaming machine. This motherboard doesn't work with a standard PSU so you'll have to buy a 6-pin HP PSU adapter, but the PCIE slot can only supply 35W, not the standard 75W -- SFFs are notorious for this -- and even with supplementary power, getting this to work can be a giant headache.

You can get H110 motherboards used on eBay for $25-$45.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Solution
^Yeah.
The fact that the mobo only has a 4-pin power connector (+ 4 pin CPU power) and not a standard 24 pin connector is a dead giveaway that the PCIe x16 slot isn't going to support the full/standard 75W. That's going to limit you to the ~35W (GT1030) since GPUs with TDPs higher than that (even ones with external power connectors) expect to get 75W out of the slot.

What's the reason for the Deepcool Tesseract case choice?

Reactions: extreme_noob

alkingrey

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012
Honestly the Tesseract case is cheap and has Blue lights which is what he wanted, It's for a kid that's wanting to play Fortnite/LoL maybe WoW with his older brother.
they're dad wants to get him a Beginner PC, so if I get the H110 motherboard and i was looking at a 550w PSU bronze EVGA I think. would that work for that sort of stuff.
Would this MoBo Work?

TRENDING THREADS