Question Hp proliant dL 360 g6 motherboard in g7 chassis

Feb 23, 2019
Just wondering....
My friend and employee gave me a hp proliant dL 360 g7 server with everything EXCEPT the motherboard. I see decent prices on hp proliant dL 360 g6 motherboards on CheapBay (eBay). Does anybody know if that works in a g7 chassis without any modifications to the board wiring or chassis itself. I don’t wanna spend $100+ on CheapBay when I can just spend $40! Obviously! Who would?!?! Quick response is appreciated!

kanewolf

Titan
The pictures of the rear panels look similar (unlike the G5 and G6). But there is no guarantees that the internal cabling is the same. Do you risk $40 and maybe get lucky or do you go with the guaranteed compatibility? My answer would be compatibility. It is difficult enough to piece a server together. You may end up buyiing a bunch of parts and still never get it to work. In addition to a MB, you need CPUs, heat sinks, I/O risers, RAM, and disks. How much is the parts cost compared to buying a used server that is fully assembled.

Feb 23, 2019
The pictures of the rear panels look similar (unlike the G5 and G6). But there is no guarantees that the internal cabling is the same. Do you risk $40 and maybe get lucky or do you go with the guaranteed compatibility? My answer would be compatibility. It is difficult enough to piece a server together. You may end up buyiing a bunch of parts and still never get it to work. In addition to a MB, you need CPUs, heat sinks, I/O risers, RAM, and disks. How much is the parts cost compared to buying a used server that is fully assembled.
I already have all the parts just not the board and a new server cost a ton more than another g7 board! I DO NOT want to pay $140-$200 for a new server when all I need is a board and mind you $30-$40 is my monthly motherboard budget until next year when my discretionary income goes back to $140/month instead of $40/month with occasional petty cash from mom and the occasional sale at my shop. I have gd Verizon to thank for the $100 decrease in my monthly budget for this year! They totally boned me!