[SOLVED] HP Proliant DL360 g9 - Video

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
I have an HP Proliant DL360 g9 that runs as it should for what I need it to do, Win2019 Datacenter and Hyper-V 256GB memory, but it will not see any KVM in my shop or in my server rack. If I attach a VGA capable monitor to it I can see and work on the system. Still a VGA cable from my switch box, any really, is not seen. The HDMI port does not register via switch box and I haven't tried it directly since our server racks only have VGA capability.

I'm fairly certain that video isn't needed once its in the rack (RDP in) but to not have that basic capability if things go wrong and I need to stand in the server room to work, is not wise.

Has anyone come across this issue? If so, how did you manage to fix it?

Solution
I have an HP Proliant DL360 g9 that runs as it should for what I need it to do, Win2019 Datacenter and Hyper-V 256GB memory, but it will not see any KVM in my shop or in my server rack. If I attach a VGA capable monitor to it I can see and work on the system. Still a VGA cable from my switch box, any really, is not seen. The HDMI port does not register via switch box and I haven't tried it directly since our server racks only have VGA capability.

I'm fairly certain that video isn't needed once its in the rack (RDP in) but to not have that basic capability if things go wrong and I need to stand in the server room to work, is not wise.

Do you have the latest...

kanewolf

Titan

Do you have the latest iLO firmware installed? I think the video chip is part of the iLO subsystem.

Solution

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Do you have the latest iLO firmware installed? I think the video chip is part of the iLO subsystem.
I have a feeling this is a DOH! moment. I only just installed the iLO subsystem and drivers, they were the only things with a ? in the device management area. I did this right AFTER I pulled the MSI video card. Would this impact the KVM?

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
I will say that I incorrectly assumed you were using the motherboard video.
In fairness, I did attempt to use the onboard video before adding the MSO card. The iLO updated worked, I can get video from the MSI or the onboard when I attach a monitor directly, but the issue remains when attempting to get video output through the KVM switch. Crazy.

we have 6 HP servers in our rack at work

DL380 G6
DL380 G6
DL360 G7
DL360 G7
DL380 G8
DL380 G9

The only server that has iLO installed is the G9, some of them use onboard video while a few have some cheap Quadro 600 GPUs installed. They all work fine on our Trendent 8-port TK-803R KVM switch Link The only issue ive had is if your RDP'd into the server, when you try to log in locally after you sign in you get a black screen. You then have to hit the windows+L keys to lock it and then sign back in.

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
we have 6 HP servers in our rack at work

DL380 G6
DL380 G6
DL360 G7
DL360 G7
DL380 G8
DL380 G9

The only server that has iLO installed is the G9, some of them use onboard video while a few have some cheap Quadro 600 GPUs installed. They all work fine on our Trendent 8-port TK-803R KVM switch Link The only issue ive had is if your RDP'd into the server, when you try to log in locally after you sign in you get a black screen. You then have to hit the windows+L keys to lock it and then sign back in.
I'll give that a shot. Apologies, what do you mean by Windows + L keys