Question HP Proliant dl360 g9

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
We consolidated our WAN and I've inherited two 1U HP Proliant dl360 G9 systems. Unfortunately, neither came with hard drives, but can accommodate eight 2.5" drives (with the correct mounting tray's). What the system's did have for storage was a detached 3U HP drive array which could vertically house 24 2.5" drives. The array unit came with 8 2TB SAS drives.
I have no present need for the 3U drive array unit. I could use one or both of the HP Proliant DL360 G9's, and even a few of those HDDs, for servers that do not need as much storage space (and take up little rack space) to operate.

The Question: How do I get the HP Proliant DL360 G9 to see the 4 drives I placed in slots 1-4? The system does boot, the drives do initialize (based on the lighting on the drive trays), but the boot stops on the screen Hewlett Packard Enterprise "Attempting to Connect to HPRESTful API service" and it sits endlessly. I've moved through its BIOS and found an array utility but it comes up with a winter landscape mountain and then goes to the API statement mentioned previously.

I need to get the HP Proliant DL360 G9 to look for the local drives, so I can place a bootable OS (windows 2019) on one of the 2TB drives, or maybe on a 3 or 4 disk array of 2TB drives.

Any help is appreciated.

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
That is what I thought as well. Motherboard 101. Unless the wording is different, different enough that it makes no logical sense, I'm not seeing it. What should be a few second has turned into a puzzle.

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Duing bootup hit F10 to go into the the HP intelligent Provisioning. Inside there you will be able to setup the drives.

I think I tried this before. To be sure, I'm going to attempt this now.

UPDATE
The Intelligent Provisioning option results in a mountainous landscape with clouds, before settling into "Attempting to connect to RESTful API service" statement (endlessly).

The Smart Storage Administration Option end sup in the exact same state as Intelligent Provisioning.

I can leave this looking to connect to the RESTful API service indefinately and the screen never progresses.

Last edited:

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
I had to spent about 40 minutes on hold for support with a firewall so I used that time to do some research specifically on this "RESTful interface". It turns out this is a command line python red fish utility that allows management of HP enterprise products.

I'm going to download the tool to one of my test boxes and then give the ever searching "RESTful interface API" something to connect to. Based on what I've read, direct from HP, this should allow me to direct, or re-direct, the boot device to where I need it to be. I suspect whoever set this up made an adjustment to bypass the local drives in favor of the external drive array.

I'll post the results whether it works or not. Hopefully this will someone else from having to spend time solving this puzzle.