rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I am so ticked, can someone please help?

I own an HP Pavilion dv4000 laptop. I think the memory went bad b/c I kept getting BSOD's for memory parity errors, and then memory dumps. The computer finally crashed.

I then tried to repair using the recovery CDs, and it wouldn't work, so I tried to completely reinstall Windows from the recovery cds, and I kept getting memory dump BSOD's and also it would tell me on every driver (.dll) file that it could not copy and asked me to skip. I assumed it was a memory error.

I went onto newegg.com and ordered corsair memory. It will not fit! It's the same chip board (the little number on the green memory chip board is 199). The only difference is as follows:

Original Memory Stick:
2 Memory Sticks
256 mb each
PC2-4200s-444 DIMM

New Memory:
2 Corsair Sticks
512 Mb each
200 pin DDR
So-DIMM

They are identical in size, but they just won't slide in the same as the original? Is this a proprietary thing with HP or did I order the wrong memory? I'm so confused, I even looked up what type of memory was in my laptop, and I thought I ordered a matching set.

Please help! I need my laptop!

G

I think you mixed up DDR1 and DDR2.

The notch is not at the same place that why it will not fit??

I tryed to go on www.kingston.com to see the memory compatibility tool but the Dv4000 is not there, weird, usually all Hp's are there.

rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
The notch is in the same place when you hold the old and new memory together but when trying to slide it in, it's just a hair off, and I do mean a hair.

Maybe someone else will come on here and help that might know about the dv4000??

G

I don't want to insult your intelligence but we are talking about the notch 'in' the gold pins right?

So is it the little retention metal clip that don't fit?

Sorry did not see it was a laptop oops:

Kingston Memory

which are matched on newegg: Here

Kingston memory configurator always worked for me, I suggest you exchange them for the only I linked on top

20-145-484-05.JPG
CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Notebook Memory - notch on left
20-145-554-02.JPG
CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Notebook Memory - notch on right

Because DDR2 is 1.8 volts and DDR is 2.5 volts the modules are made differently.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
http://www.crucial.com
Crucial's Memory configurator has 2 versions of the DV4000, a DDR and a DDR2 version. You need to double check your computer to determine whether you have DDR or DDR2 memory.

They also have a system scanner to determine it too, if you computer is stable enough to run it... I've never used it before, so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

G

Couldn't you just flip it then? (not saying you should, just that someone could!).

Anyway, to the OP, the memory I link is good to go!

rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I don't want to insult your intelligence but we are talking about the notch 'in' the gold pins right?

So is it the little retention metal clip that don't fit?

Sorry did not see it was a laptop oops:

Kingston Memory

which are matched on newegg: Here

Kingston memory configurator always worked for me, I suggest you exchange them for the only I linked on top

The notch is on the left in BOTH sets of memory. The memory won't fit into the hole, it's just slightly off.

rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
http://www.crucial.com
Crucial's Memory configurator has 2 versions of the DV4000, a DDR and a DDR2 version. You need to double check your computer to determine whether you have DDR or DDR2 memory.

They also have a system scanner to determine it too, if you computer is stable enough to run it... I've never used it before, so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

No I can't run the system scanner, the entire system is inoperable.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I am so ticked, can someone please help?

I own an HP Pavilion dv4000 laptop. I think the memory went bad b/c I kept getting BSOD's for memory parity errors, and then memory dumps. The computer finally crashed.

I then tried to repair using the recovery CDs, and it wouldn't work, so I tried to completely reinstall Windows from the recovery cds, and I kept getting memory dump BSOD's and also it would tell me on every driver (.dll) file that it could not copy and asked me to skip. I assumed it was a memory error.

I went onto newegg.com and ordered corsair memory. It will not fit! It's the same chip board (the little number on the green memory chip board is 199). The only difference is as follows:

Original Memory Stick:
2 Memory Sticks
256 mb each
PC2-4200s-444 DIMM

New Memory:
2 Corsair Sticks
512 Mb each
200 pin DDR
So-DIMM

They are identical in size, but they just won't slide in the same as the original? Is this a proprietary thing with HP or did I order the wrong memory? I'm so confused, I even looked up what type of memory was in my laptop, and I thought I ordered a matching set.

Please help! I need my laptop!

Its not proprietary, I swap in non-HP memory on all our machines.... but you do need the right memory type: is your memory DDR1 or DDR2 check it against the type you removed...

rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
If it helps, I looked at the old memory's information (which it didn't say DDR1 or 2, so I saw an HP replacement parts sticker that says "Replace with HP Spare 403896-001 and underneath had another # 9i05A1).

I went to the HP Parts Store website and typed in 403896-001 and it came up with this:

256 MB, 533-MHz, 200 pin Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (SODIMM) Double Data Rate (DDR533) SDRAM Memory Module.

And then it said Part is not orderable in the HP Parts Store.

I did a search by my model number and it pulled up 3 different memory options:

the same one I listed above, a DDR2 memory module that was 512MB, and another DDR2 module that was 1 GB. I guess it depended on how you ordered your laptop. Mine had 2 256 sticks, but I have no idea if it's DDR or DDR2...it doesn't say on the stick or the specs. I'm so confused.

rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
oK here is further research. The original stick is manufactured by Hynix. I went to Hynix's website and typed in the part # on the stick HYMP532S64P6.

This is what came up:

DDR2 SDRAM MODULE SO DIMM 256MB| HYMP532S64P6

Description
This Hynix unbuffered Slim Outline Dual In-Line Memory Module(DIMM) series consists of 512Mb 1st ver.

DDR2SDRAMs in Fine Ball Grid Array(FBGA) packages on a 200pin glass-epoxy substrate.

This Hynix 512Mb 1st ver. basedUnbuffered DDR2 SO-DIMM series provide a high performance 8 byte interface in 67.60mm width form factor of industry standard.

It is suitable for easy interchange and addition.

Features
JEDEC standard Double Data Rate2 Synchronous DRAMs (DDR2 SDRAMs) with 1.8V +/- 0.1V Power Supply
All inputs and outputs are compatible with SSTL_1.8 interface
Posted CAS
Programmable CAS Latency 3 ,4 ,5
OCD (Off-Chip Driver Impedance Adjustment) and ODT (On-Die Termination)
Fully differential clock operations (CK & CK)
Programmable Burst Length 4 / 8 with both sequential and interleave mode
Auto refresh and self refresh supported
8192 refresh cycles / 64ms
Serial presence detect with EEPROM
DDR2 SDRAM Package: 60ball(x8), 84ball(x16) FBGA
67.60 x 30.00 mm form factor
Lead-free Products are RoHS compliant

So I guess I have DDR2 memory? What did I order?! The wrong kind??

Best to be sure what you're working with. Try the PC Wizard 2006 program.
It will tell you all interesting kinds of stuff about your system.

edit; OBE - still you can double check with PC Wizard 2006. Sorry I couldnt get that to you BEFORE you ordered the memory.

czepiel

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Judging from the information you obtained from Hynix it appears you do require DDR2 memory and you ordered standard DDR, which is why it will not fit.

rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Judging from the information you obtained from Hynix it appears you do require DDR2 memory and you ordered standard DDR, which is why it will not fit.

Could anyone be so kind to find me an alternate DDR2 memory to make sure I order the correct one??

Mondoman

Splendid
After you install your new memory, but before you go ahead and reinstall your software, download memtest86+ and burn it as a bootable floppy or CD. Then run it for at least a couple of complete passes (will likely take more than an hour) to make sure you get *no* memory errors.

rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I received the new memory in the computer, but I am wondering if that was even the problem.

I kept getting this error sometimes when I booted the computer to run the restore disk:

file\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. THe error code is 7. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Then when it did finally come up, it kept stopping through the re-install saying such and such file could not be copied. I would press enter over and over ever ten files or so, and then I hit a couple points where it wouldn't copy the file at all and I had to skip it.

I tried deleting the partition (quick), and then even tried deleting and formatting the partition the long way, but to no avail.

can anyone tell me what is going on?

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Did you run memtest86 like a previous poster mentioned?
Its at:
http://www.memtest86.com/

Also might want to run a diagnostic of the hard drive... If you can find out the manufacturer of the HDD, then you can use the manufacturer's utility (usually they have a diagnostic utility).
You can also use the Ultimate Boot CD, which contains many diagnostic utilities from the various HDD manufacturers.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/