HP PSC 2170 Software installation

I am trying to install the software for this HP all-in-one but at the
beginning of the installation I get the the following error:

"Error Opening installation log file verify that the specified log
file location exists and is writable"

When I press OK I get the following message:

"msiexec.exe-i aiosw.msi transforms=1033s.msi -l "C:\Program
File\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\hpomsi_log_so1.txt"

Installation total fails at this point.

I am running Windows ME. I have had the software running before but
was having some general printing problems when this machine was
running Windows 98SE so I upgraded to Windows ME (Machine cannot take
XP) and un-installed and tried to re-install HP software. I have also
use the HP cleanup software as well but this did not help.

Any help?

Welcome to the nether-world of HP software for printers and scanners.

Since you are running ME, the usual NT/2000/XP administrator privileges do not
apply here.

My assumption here is that you are connecting the PSC2170 directly to your
Windows ME computer via a USB port. Is the USB port USB 1.1 or USB 2.0?? If
your computer is a Pentium 3 or earlier, the USB port is 1.1. Most of the new
USB stuff these days is designed for USB 2.0, with USB 1.1 backward
compatibility an afterthought.

In addition to running the HP cleanup software, manually delete all references
to the PSC 2170 from the registry. HP's uninstall and cleanup software often
does a very incomplete job. Back up the registry first, and mess with the
registry only if you are comfortable doing so.

If the version of software you are attempting to install is earlier than 2.1.0
dated April 2004, download the latest from the HP website. But the download is
166MB !!!

Those are the best general suggestions I can make, not having messed with a
PSC2170 yet, just other HP printer beasts... Ben Myers