HP PSC 950 (all-in-one) no fax option?

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.printing (More info?)

While this driver is for Mac OS X, the answer may (I hope) be
platform-independent.
---
I installed the 900-series driver (Mac OS X) for a friend. Printing does
great.

After I left, my friend calls telling me that she can't fax. The print dialog
box (which is supposed to allow the choice of printer or fax feature), shows
only the print feature.

I'm sure the reason is that stupid setup wizard that asks obtuse questions
like "Do you have a device that switches between devices on the phone line",
rather than "Do you want the PSC 950 to act as printer and fax?". Incorrect
answers to these questions results in no fax feature.

So, my question is: is there a way to configure the driver (as it is
installed) so that it offers the fax feature whenever you select Print in the
application? Or must the entire driver be reinstalled (and those stupid
questions answered again)?

I ask because one I can help someone do remotely, whereas the other requires
another trip to the site.

I've been over the HP support web site, but it does seem brain-dead on this
particular topic (including the user docs I've downloaded and perused).

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

zakezuke

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.printing (More info?)

> I'm sure the reason is that stupid setup wizard that asks obtuse questions
> like "Do you have a device that switches between devices on the phone line",
> rather than "Do you want the PSC 950 to act as printer and fax?". Incorrect
> answers to these questions results in no fax feature.

I can't help you with the macos edition, but I can offer some insite as
I do one one of these things.

The reason why the driver is asking obtuse questions is because it's
hip to the idea of sharing with a land line, or hip to the idea of not
being a fax machine at all, or being the main fax.

I forget all the modes to the obtuse questions, I had my setup to
automaticly answer when you press 123 on the phone. Basicly the HP
sort of 1/2 listens to any phonecall and picks up and answers when it
hears 123. In theory if you have a traditional answering machine
hooked up to the device the 950 would disconnect it and answer the fax.
Handy feature even if they are cryptic about it.

But alas the only way I know of how to deal with many of these issues,
even under winxp is to reinstall the driver. You put VNC on the mac
and do it from remote so long as both you and they are not on dialup...
otherwise vnc is painful.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.printing (More info?)

In article <0001HW.BF26E02E00092F76F02845B0@news.readfreenews.net>,
DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> While this driver is for Mac OS X, the answer may (I hope) be
> platform-independent.
> ---
> I installed the 900-series driver (Mac OS X) for a friend. Printing does
> great.
>
> After I left, my friend calls telling me that she can't fax. The print dialog
> box (which is supposed to allow the choice of printer or fax feature), shows
> only the print feature.

I encountered a different facet of the same thing with a 7210.

When I try to interrogate the fax settings and status from the HP
director it tells me I have no fax.

I was waiting to see if it would go right all by itself when HP update
their software,

Dave