HP Recalls 203,000 Laptops Over Battery Fires

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
They need to stop calling them "laptops" before they catch a lawsuit because someone burned their 'down stairs' bissness off.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]FireIsPretty[/nom]This should be in the next Mac laptop hunter spoof.[/citation]

Yea they could go along with the macbooks/ibooks whose batteries expand...
which then leads to not being able to close the laptop until the batteries 'cool down' and go back to original size..

DeadCheckR

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]1 thing: don't buy DELL, HP, EMACHINE.... crappy computers[/citation]

If you buy the consumer line of products I would agree. However, their Business level machines through the channel are a different story.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
It just floors me that battery overheating keeps on cropping up in laptops for the last few years.

Sony...apple...dell...hp

Wtf are the engineers doing?

"Well gollie mr manager we just kinda expected that our laptops would sorta mystically not suffer the same problems as others despite having near identical conditions of operation and battery/battery environment."

Seriously...if you saw a bunch of dams fail...and you looked at yours and noticed it was built increadibly similarly...wouldn't you...just maybe... want to redesign it to avoid a similar fate?

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]UnlicensedHitman[/nom]HP laptops aren't that crappy, I like how I can turn on/off the touchpad anytime I want by pushing the button just above the touchpad.[/citation]
Yup, some nice stuff - but some real crap stuff too. Why have laptop makers abandoned hardware sound controls? (Can't turn my sound down or off until it blares the windows logon music - drat!) Also, my TX2120US does not have a Security Key - so I have to open it and use the keyboard. *grumble*

Overall, I give HP a "slightly above average" design grade. However, I do like how you can get a complete parts manual from online. HPs are no "magic black box" if you want to hack it. :)

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]Sony is hoping they didn't manufacture the batteries.[/citation]

Sony did manufacture those batteries... the DV2xxx, DV6xxx and DV9xxx series HP's batteries were mainly manufactured by Sony. Recently for the new DV4-xxxx, DV5-xxxx, DV6-xxxx and DV7-xxxx did they switch to LG batteries.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]manicmalki[/nom]Score my wifes battery is going out and in the recall list. Teee heee saves me some money for bubble gum and hookers[/citation]

There is nothing better then bubble gum and hookers. ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.