HP Recovery after upgrading to windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haiderijaz17

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I want to run recovery on my HP 14 AC016ne machine. However, I had updated my system to Windows 10 when I got it. The recovery partition is still there but C was resized. The recovery partition has 20 GB space and it contains the files. I am not sure how to run it to restore it to its original state of Windows 8 that came with it as I had upgraded it to my own Windows 10 pro that I had purchased separately from elsewhere.

Solution
If the original Win 8.1 factory reset partition still exists, you should be able to invoke that, via whatever keystroke the manufacturer tells you.

This will, in theory, wipe everything on the drive, and bring it back to how it came from the store. Win 8.1.
Everything...

If you want a fresh install of Win 10, that is a whole different thing.

Now...what are you wanting the end state to be, and why are you doing this?
If 8 is still on the machine then the following should allow you to do it. If it isn't on the machine, then you will need to get either disks with it on it or a USB drive. Also if not on your drive, you can try getting it from here... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download

In Windows versions prior to 10, you should be able to...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then click "Recovery."
2. Next click "Advanced Recovery Methods."
3. Now click "Return your computer to factory condition."

And in 10...

To do this go to "Start", then "Settings". Next choose "Update & security" and then "Recovery" Here click "Get started" and select the option you wish to use. From here just follow the on-screen instructions to restore Windows 10 back to how it was upon leaving the factory.

Haiderijaz17

Prominent
May 8, 2017

The thing is if I just use the USB media, it won't restore to factory state. I want to restore it to Windows 8.1 in its original state as I am intending to sell it. I want it to look just as it came to me with all the softwares so I want to use the system's recovery partition of 20 GB that is still there. Some people have suggested that we should mark it as active but that's not applicable to GPT partition scheme. Is there a way that I can use that partition and force it to restore it from that instead of using a completely new USB drive with windows 8 on it?

USAFRet

Titan
If the original Win 8.1 factory reset partition still exists, you should be able to invoke that, via whatever keystroke the manufacturer tells you.

This will, in theory, wipe everything on the drive, and bring it back to how it came from the store. Win 8.1.
Everything...

If you want a fresh install of Win 10, that is a whole different thing.

Now...what are you wanting the end state to be, and why are you doing this?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.