HP S700 Pro SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Good article.

I agree with your conclusion. This isn't a bad SSD, but it's neither the fastest nor the cheapest. There's nothing really special about it.

Nei1

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
One day, there was a flood in Thailand, and the quality of Western Digital never recovered. The consumer learned that "There are only two kinds of drives -- those that have failed and those that haven't failed yet." So we either spend time trying to remember all the things we wanted to back up with a collection of expensive low-reliability external drives, or employ RAID -- spend more money on purchasing redundant low-reliability drives -- the only reliability that was available since the flood.

And when I say "low reliability," I'm saying that relative to Western Digital's 80 GB IDE drive, or earlier generation that didn't fail unless you hit them with a hammer. Backing up was a simple as a similarly dependable hard drive in an external enclosure, which took some money and maintenance, but it wasn't awful. This is my standard for reliability, for quality, and until we reach that state again, the consumer is being played for a sucker.

Now, instead of spindles and heads wearing out (faster than ever before), there's the threat of the transistors in the SSDs wearing out. There are sufficient reviews by consumers to make it clear that SSDs are a gamble, so it's up to the individual to spend as much money as he has on an SSD that seems to get the best reviews for reliability vs. price. There are only two types of consumers -- those whose SSDs have suddenly failed, and those whose SSDs haven't suddenly failed yet.

What would be good is if the next memory-technology will not have a limitation on lifetime. That would be worthy of being called "an improvement in reliability."

nyannyan

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
I'm willing to bet that WD's 80 GB drives were nowhere *near* the worst drive even in their era (*cough*Maxtor*cough*), and that's not even getting to drives that were mostly DOA (can't remember the mfr, they went bust shortly after).

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There's a lot of progress with this combination, but it's too little, too late. By the time you read this, we'll already have the Intel SSD 545s review online

Well, we're waiting.....

jaxstas

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
"HP was the world's leading PC manufacturer, and it made it without a cow theme or a "dude" actor."

HP bought Compaq. That's how they acquired the computer technology they have today. Prior, their stuff was bad.

Compaq was also hitting the bottom of the barrel around that time too.

jaxstas

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Yes, but my comment was more about the quality of computers. HP was really unusable in a lot of aspects. Example, why STAR servers are gone. Next to point out that even to this day the format everything down to spare parts are all from the Compaq side.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Yea it's current price is dumb. 500gb evo is faster better warranty and cheaper by $25. and the 512 pro vs S 512 pro is only $30 more with even better memory MLC speed and warranty. why would anyone buy these half ass ssd's when adata and crucial are pretty much the same product maybe a bit better for a lot less. This doesn't even start a price war this is like they are all in on it together to strong hold the SSD market high all of them are currently guilty of it and there is no way there is a shortage any more look at all the brands that now offer 3d nand so what gives?

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
So . . . business class? Does it have any special features? eDrive? Power-loss protection? High TBW?

I've got an SSD full of professional essays and financial info. I'd love to see a non-enterprise SSD with those features.

For now, I've got a 512 GB Kingston KC400. Its 800 TBW is about quadruple what other drives have. It doesn't have eDrive, so Bitlocker takes a small performance hit, but that's life, I guess. And it doesn't have any capacitors (none that I know of), so that's what multiple backups are for.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-545s,5098.html

Already online.

maybe I should have been more clear.......

"There's a lot of progress with this combination, but it's too little, too late. By the time you read this, we'll already have the Intel SSD 545s review online. The new SSD employs the second-generation IMFT 64-layer 3D NAND with 256Gbit die, and that should change the market."

the Intel SSD was very unimpressive, and failed to change the market. Matter of fact, I think the HP drive might be better......

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Another graph with a non-zero origin, please fix it. And the comparison lineup for the 256GB model just shows all the same 500GB-class models from the previous page once more.

Query: why does the OCZ Trion do so well for the sequential steady state tests, but then falls to the bottom for the application storage bandwidth test?

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I bougth two 850 EVO 2 years ago for my laptops. I have been waiting for a noticeable step up in performance to update my Crucial SSD in my PC. It's been two years, and nothing comes close to the EVO in its price range. Let's hope for 2018...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I think large erase-block sizes can do this, because the drive has to do more/bigger read-modify-write operations, relative to the same amount of application storage bandwidth.

I'm not saying that's the only explanation or even the correct one...

mapesdhs

Distinguished

It would be good to know what's going on when a model which in all other ways comes across as a low end product suddenly jumps to the top of a chart, in some cases suggesting they'd actually be quite a lot better than one would otherwise expect for certain tasks, eg. editing video in the case of the Trion (lots of sequential access), though I suppose balancing that out are other aspects such as TBW ratings.Still, it's odd seeing this sometimes, eg. until recently some sites included the old Vector in newer reviews, and it kept showing up very well. It bugs me a bit that the older models are no longer included, because I can't help wondering that if they were, the results would show newer models are little better or in many cases worse. Personally I wish the 840 Pro, Vector, Vertex 4 and various others were included sometimes to give some historical perspective, just like the way modern air cooler reviews ought to include a classic TRUE as a comparison; have things really improved? How can we tell? All this TLC stuff makes me think SSD tech is moving backwards, while prices continue rising. Long ago it seems were the days of the 850 EVO 250GB being 53 UKP each (the 500GB was only a little above 100).

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I guess there's not much one can do for the laptop, but for a PC there's always PCIe NVMe, either for holding data, apps, or a boot drive (and if it's an older model without native boot support, use an SSD that has its own boot rom, which I think includes the 950 Pro, Intel P3700, etc.) I'm referring of course to fitting such M,2 products into PCIe adapter cards such as the Lycom DT-120, though I've also been using the Akasa AK-PCCM2P-01 (better spacing for airflow), good results with older mbds, easily 2GB/sec (SM951), topping 3GB/sec with a 960 Pro.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
If I want a 850 EVO I would go for the Kingston Hyper X Savage, pretty much the last MLC SSD with near "high end" TLC prices.

Sits in between 850EVO and Crucial MX300 in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS