HP scanjet 5100c not recognised in win 98

G

My hp scanner:5100c and printer:deskjet 720c are connected together.

I installed my printer software,rebooted the machine,then installed my scanner software.

Problem is, after reboot, HPPPT comes out with a red cross meaning that it can't detect my scanner.I don't really know what is wrong as I've tried switching the scanner on and off as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the scanning software.

I'm not too sure on how to check the connections as well as the cables...as in, how to tell if the cable for the scanner is working.

I've tried the Parallel Port Tester and yes it can print but it can't detect the scanner. I even tried upgrading the drivers for the scanner as well as the Parellel port to scsi drivers.

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Despite HP's old (and invalid) claim to the contrary, connecting a scanner and printer together through one parallel port just doesn't work. The scanner will need an EPP port, and printer will need an ECP port, which is a proprietary HP port. You can set up the parallel port for one or the other in the BIOS ... but not for both.

Using some kind of switching device on the parallel port won't work either ... just in case you were wondering.

You'll need to get a second parallel port. They aren't expensive. You can get either an ISA or PCI card. Configure the jumpers on the card, install it, and afterwards ... hook the printer up to the new parallel port. Not the scanner ... the scanner will only work on the primary parallel port on the mainboard. The software will only function if the scanner is on a recognized parallel port with a specific IRQ. You won't have as many limitations with the printer and the new card.

Reinstall the scanner on the primary parallel port, and that includes the software. Anytime you move an HP device, reinstall the software, or it will "lose" the device.

Unless you intend to swap out one of the peripherals for one that is USB, or attempt to run a parallel port cable/USB adapter) ... this is your only option.

If you do want to try running one of the device on an USB port, be sure that the software you own can "see" an HP device on that kind of port, otherwise you'll have to order upgraded software from HP.

The next time ... buy Epson! <GRIN>

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>