HP Server OS on Raid 1 Crash - Question on Data D: Raid 5

jluks64

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
4 Days ago our OS Crashed on our HP Server. The Data for our company is in a separate raid 5 array and is still good. I tried to restore just the c: OS (Windows 2008 R2 SBS2011) from the windows backup that is on a USB. I used the Windows Command Install Disk and used the command prompt for wbadmin to recover just the c:. The image was correctly copied but when trying to boot up get a illegal opcode eflag 246.

We confirmed that this is an issue with the restore. I loaded windows 7 fresh and that boots just fine. This is the question I cannot find anywhere. If i do a fresh install of Windows Server 2008 R2 what happens to my data that's on the separate array my IT company cannot even tell me what will happen. I would hope after install and boot up I would be able to access my D: to pull my data off. That is the most important things here. We can start the OS from scratch but the raid 5 has all of our documents and such. Any help would be appreciated so far put hours into this.

Thans

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
So you loaded windows 7 on the server but it doesn't see the raid 5 on the same controller? It may be as simple as adding the driver for the raid controller on your windows 7 lead but it's near impossible to diagnose without knowing more about the server and configuration.

What the heck do you have an IT company for?

jluks64

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
The IT company wouldnt put the raid 5 array drives back in after the install because they where afraid of losing data. I went through again and tried to use command prompt to restore the c drive of a really old image and it still wouldn't boot up. I decided to take a risk and reinstall sbs 2011 after configure I restarted put the raid 5 array back in and all my data was there thankfully. I honestly think the IT company should have known this day one. Not five days later and I figured it out.

The IT company handles access to kaspersky and other sites where u need a vendor to use that stuff. Right now I'm thinking of trying to do a full restore after I copy my data and see if that for some reason would work.

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
You might as well keep trying if you can put the data somewhere else safe, otherwise rebuilding AD might be kind of a pain depending on how many users and what features you were using of SBS.

But yes, the should have known that was the case, or at least assumed so to get you running ASAP. Some people are so unsure they just say no to avoid a lawsuit, data is a scary thing to mess with. They must be thinking that a hardware failure cause the OS crash.

Luckily you should be able to file restore anything in the backup if any of that was critical.