Question HP Specter - Screen Burn - except it's not!

stuzathegreat

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hey Guys!

I've got a HP Specter that has an AMD/Intel Vega M in it.

Up until maybe a month ago it's been working fine but, for some reason, I'm getting what looks like a screen burn issue - except it's NOT screen burn as it moves with the Windows/mouse!

So, what happens is that some of the Windows now appear to be transparent to a degree, in some cases I can see through two or even three windows on top of each other, right to the desktop. However, note that this doesn't affect ALL windows but, I can't figure out any pattern as to why some are affected and not others.

Further, I'm also getting vertical bars appear from the edges of windows that will go from the bottom of the window right to the bottom of the screen. These vertical bars will also move with the window/mouse (yes, even the mouse seems to sometimes get it's own downward bar that moves with the mouse).

Finally, when I shut down Windows 10 and see the little dots spinning around, these also get vertical bars dropping to the bottom of the screen that rotate with the dots.

This does NOT happen on an external monitor.

I've uninstalled, cleaned registry etc. and reinstalled the HP drivers but, no improvement. I've tried installing the drivers from Intel and AMD but they both reject saying that I must get the combined driver from the manufacturer.

I'm running the latest Windows 10 public release with latest patches.

I've been uninstalling/reinstalling with HP package SP95392 as per my laptops support page.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

edit: To include examples of both issues

Here is an example of the transparency problem:

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/QDKRJh0

Here is an example of the bars problem:

View: http://imgur.com/gallery/hpq9HNX

Last edited:

stuzathegreat

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

Thanks Ralston, appreciated the suggestions.

I've turned off Transparency now however, I don't think this was the original problem. I've taken a photo to show an example of what I'm getting:

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/QDKRJh0

Also, SFC said a bunch of WAVs (so unrelated!) and a couple of issues with Windows Defender but, couldn't repair them, otherwise no issues.

At this point, i'm tempted to wipe the PC and see if it still happens. If it does then I might all HP as it's still very much under warranty. What do you think, any other suggestions? A wipe would be a PITA but as use it at work, warranty will be a nightmare!

sdkjr

Commendable
May 6, 2017
Did you ever figure out a resolution to this problem? I have an HP Spectre x360 with the same exact problem. Mine is 18 months old so out of warranty.

stuzathegreat

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
BAD NEWS!

After 5 months on a new screen installed by HP, the EXACT same problem is back. I have emailed them asking if the new screen is covered under it's own warranty as the original warranty is now expired.

stuzathegreat

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Might be faulty lcd cable doing it, tell us if your out of warranty so we can help with fixes, its better to get new screen for free if its possible first.

HP want £450 for a new screen and refuse to warranty it more than 3 months when they KNOW it will happen again in six months because there is clearly a design fault.

Yeap, HP.

Thanks for the offer but, I'm going to shelve it for now and wait until I head to the Philippines in a few months where stuff like this is generally a lot cheaper than here in the Middle East. I've tried doing this sort of thing before but i'm clearly not destined for it - i have the amazing ability to cross thread a screw from 20 meters away!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, you should get about 3-4 screens with that price, what on earth are they charging that much for. Is this apple repair? Ok not as bad as apple would be 1k+ :D

EDIT: what model is this laptop for exactly (number back of laptop) and what is the screen resolution, you know exact model?

Reactions: stuzathegreat

stuzathegreat

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Wait, you should get about 3-4 screens with that price, what on earth are they charging that much for. Is this apple repair? Ok not as bad as apple would be 1k+ :D

It could be a Middle East thing. Here in UAE, Bahrain etc. they have one distributor for each company so that distributor gouges their price knowing you can't get it anywhere else. So I'll wait until get to the Philippines where it is a proper free market.

Its either something on the LCD circuit or the LCD cable which is causing it.
Cable is like 20$ shipped still worth a try since your out of warranty.
You can buy it and let some 3rd party repair shop replace it if you dont yourself, its doable there is guides.

(basically you might have already "ruined" the new screen but we dont know for sure if its the cable)