Question HP Spectre 14 X360 model numbers confusion and Dell XPS 13 alternative

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
I am deciding between an HP Spectre 14 X360 2-in-1 and a Dell XPS 13 clamshell. I am leaning towards the HP for several reasons. But as I look at the HP website I find a odd array of model numbers like 14-ea0047nr, 14t-ea100, 14-ea2035nr, etc.

Q1. Does anyone know how to decipher these model numbers? I've searched but found nothing so far.

Q2. Any thoughts on choosing the HP over the Dell or vice versa?

Reasons why I'm leaning to the HP are
  1. I've read quite a number of reports of problems with the XPS 13. Overall reliability seems to be better on the HP, though my wife's Spectre 13 X360 is suffering from the battery bulge issue and I plan to replace it for her as well.
  2. Features are somewhat of a toss-up but tend to favor the HP slightly. For one it still has a USB type A port. For another I believe the WiFi card can be replaced so I can upgrade to 6e later which isn't true, I'm told on the Dell.
  3. I currently have an HP XPS 13 and on the whole I like it. I haven't learned how to use the 2-in-1 format to take full advantage of it, but it still has come in handy at times. Not a dealbreaker either way.
  4. Neither have a 12th gen intel chip available at the moment or that might sway me.
Q3. Any thoughts on the OLED vs. the FHD screen? I currently do some photo editing on it, though most is done on my desktop. So color accuracy is important, and I don't know which is most accurate, though I'll calibrate it anyway. I know OLED reduces battery ilfe, not sure by how much.

Q4. Finally any thoughts on color - black, blue, or silver? It's hard to know without having one to look at.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dale

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Q1. Does anyone know how to decipher these model numbers?
It may be tedious, but just Google each HP model number and you will see the difference in the specs for each model. e.g. For the three model numbers you mentioned:

14t-ea100 = i7-1195G7, 8 GBRAM; 512 GB SSD w/32 GB Optane
ea0047nr = i7-1165G7, 16 GB RAM; 512 GB SSD w/32 GB Optane
ea2035nr = i7-1195G7, 16 GB RAM; 1 TB NVMe SSD (no Optane cache)

Between the CPU options, RAM configurations, SSD options, screen types/resolutions, Windows version, etc, there are a lot of permutations and each one has a different HP model number.

I bought a Spectre X360 14 with i7-1195G7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD 2/Optane and the 3Kx2K OLED screen from Best Buy and am pleased with that configuration.

Sorry I can't help with the HP vs Dell dilemma. My dilemma was HP Spectre X360 14 vs Microsoft Surface Pro 8. It was a tough choice, but when Best Buy price matched a $1499 price offered on the hp.com web site, that tipped the scales for me.

The Best Buy store I was in only had the "black" (I think they have some other fancy name for it) model, so that's what I got. I would have preferred the "silver," but it was no big deal.

90% of the time I use the Spectre 360 docked with external monitor/keyboard/mouse, and use it in the "tent mode" to conserve desktop (the furniture piece) space.

The only niggle I have is the power button embedded in the keyboard. When using the device in tent mode, it's awkward & fumbly to reach over behind the tent to press the power button.

Good luck with your decision making!

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I kind of like having a different model name for each configuration if they would publish something to tell you how to read them. It would make comparing them a lot easier.
At this point I am leaning toward HP and mainly deciding whether to go ahead or to wait for the gen 12 chips.

I've read mixed things on whether optane (which made no difference in the price of the configuration) is a good thing or not. Some said it could actually slow you down. I guess you haven't had that problem,then. Good to know.

I've read as well that OLED is less color accurate making it a better screen for video viewing than for photo editing. But one can read anything and it's hard to know if that really matters or not. In the end I do most photo editing on my desktop anyway. Just out of curiosity, do you calibrate it, and if so how has that worked for you?

I use my 13" now almost always with external mouse, and most of the time with external keyboard and monitor. I'll probably add a docking station. Glad to hear this model works well that way. I hadn't thought of tent mode for that but good idea!