[SOLVED] HP Spectre Laptop x360 keyboard and mouse only works for first few seconds on boot-up.

Sep 9, 2020
I turn the laptop on and the lights on the keyboard flash.
I can enter the BIOS but after that, keyboard and mouse don't work. So it works on the boot screen and that's it.

In Windows, same thing - keyboard and mouse doesn't work (I can use the touch screen).
I did connect an external and there was a bit red X on the touchpad. I reinstalled some drivers and updated everything and then next reboot, it actually worked. But has stopped since.

If I boot into recovery mode, I can use the mouse but the keyboard doesn't work.

Not sure if it is hardware or software. I would initially think Windows drivers, but the fact that I can enter BIOS but not use it after entering the BIOS makes me think it's not driver related.

Any ideas?

Solution
There's a range of them - https://www.google.com/search?sourc...?}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7LENP_enAU477AU477
"I'm struggling to see why reinstalling windows will help, if BIOS doesn't even work correctly. "
"I can enter the BIOS but after that, keyboard and mouse don't work. So it works on the boot screen and that's it. "
It might be loading bios, but can't load windows.
So there's something wrong - either with your OS drive or with Windows.

You might need to remove the OS drive. It needs to be checked to see if it's OK - put it in a PC (not as the OS drive though)

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
What make and model laptop? How old?

Can you reinstall Windows?
You might need to remove the OS drive. It needs to be checked to see if it's OK - put it in a PC (not as the OS drive though)

Sep 9, 2020
Make and model is in the title. Probably about 4 years old.

I'm struggling to see why reinstalling windows will help, if BIOS doesn't even work correctly.

Sep 9, 2020
Did you actually take it apart and re-seat the connections? Do external keyboard work OK? Try doing a BIOS update?
No, I haven't taken it apart. I can try that but doens't the fact that it works before BIOS is shown suggest connection is fine?
I've done a BIOS update and external does work.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
There's a range of them - https://www.google.com/search?sourc...?}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7LENP_enAU477AU477
"I'm struggling to see why reinstalling windows will help, if BIOS doesn't even work correctly. "
"I can enter the BIOS but after that, keyboard and mouse don't work. So it works on the boot screen and that's it. "
It might be loading bios, but can't load windows.
So there's something wrong - either with your OS drive or with Windows.

Solution