Question HP Spectre x360 SSD drive issue

yorkytime

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
My SSD drive will not boot up. Drive tests ok....I suspect it is a boot sector issue. This is the drive installed.
512-GB, 2280, peripheral component interconnect express (PCIe)-3×4, non-volatile memory express (NVMe), super speed (SS) solid-state drive with triple-level cell (TLC)

Question: Can I purchase a SSD Drive enclosure to install the above SSD drive for the sole purpose of copying my documents and photos. Will I be able to address the drive just for this purpose before sending computer out for repairs. I have done this before with a regular HHD and it worked great. Thanks

yorkytime

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
Did you try repairing the boot issue with Win10 recovery disk ?
Well this is sort of hard to explain for a semi experienced computer person. I do have the recovery disk "somewhere". !! Actually it's a USB recovery disk. Problem is I was sick with covid-19 (in hospital) for 6 months. My son bless his heart decided to re-organize my home. sigh! So the recovery disk has been put somewhere but I do not know where. I'm sure I will find it eventually in this huge house. In the mean time I need access to my docs and other files. Lesson: Do not allow family access to your home when you are out of pocket.....under any circumstances. Is this not a sob story?? On the bright side I survived!

Another question: Can I create a new recovery disk from the HP website. If so does anyone have a link to the page?

yorkytime

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
Glad to hear you kicked Covid...no fun dealing with that.

As far as a recovery disk you would need to contact HP support directly because each recovery disk will be model specific.
I have read that a simple fix for this issue is to remove the battery and the SSD drive. Then replace both the SSD and battery. This is described as a HARD reset and all will be ok. But with the Spectre x360 it requires removing the back of the computer. I have the HP instructions to do this. But if I break into the computer I want to copy my files first by installing the SSD into a drive enclosure....which I have ordered. I am a little dismayed that HP has taken the route of not allowing the removal of the battery without breaking into the computer.

The HP Envy laptop that I am using now (purchased last year) is the same way. The battery is non removal. I also have an older Pavilion HP (Windows 7) computer which is a workhorse. I've had this boot issue before and simply removing the battery resets the computer when there are boot issues.