HP Stream Laptop / notebook power issues

Apr 7, 2018
Hello! I'm a bit new to this site, so, go easy on me

4/7/18 8:12 PM
Recently, I dug up my one year old or so, HP Stream notebook. i had plans for turning it into a NAS, as, it's quite under powered, and can't really run anything except internet browsing, and video playback. It's running windows 10, by the way. A few months ago, maybe in January or so, i cracked it open to look around at the parts, as i really didn't know much about laptops. i'm more of a desktop kind of guy. The problem was, is that whenever i tried to boot up the machine, it would get stuck in an endless cycle of the loading ring, or, whenever i attempted to hard reset it, it simply got stuck at 70%, every single time. and, i decided that i didn't feel like putting any more cash into it, i got my fair share of use out of it, and i would open it up, maybe gut it (which, i didn't) and put it away. Until now, when, i found an old external hard drive that my parents didn't want anymore, i wiped it clean on a new machine, and downloaded, uh, a lot of anime onto. And i figured, since my router doesn't have any USB ports, and i didn't feel like getting an adapter, i could use my old HP. (bare in mind, i hadn't remembered that it was relatively broken) and pressed the power button. No dice. i figured that i should just plug it in, charge it for a bit, and then use it. once the light finally turned solid white, i clicked the button. No dice. The power button doesn't show any light, at all, so i figured that maybe, just maybe, when i opened up the machine a few months ago, i left out a ribbon cable or something. i open it up, and everything is plugged in, and no, i wasn't gentle the first time, i was ignorant. and the second time, i forgot to undo a few screws, so now, the keyboard piece doesn't fit on nicely, whatever, though. So, i kept it plugged in, and assumed the screen was broken, and so was the power button LED. I plugged it in to a TV with an HDMI cable, flicked thru ALL of the inputs, and nothing happened. So, quite honestly, i don't know what to do. And whilst i could spend like, 13 dollars, and just hook up my external HDD to my router, the only thing i could find was 13.69 USD. Which, is approximately 1 volume of manga, or maybe 2 books from Barnes and noble. And, i could get that today, simply buy picking it up at my local wal-mart. Though, there was a 3.69$ adapter, but that's 2 week shipping. And it isn't available on amazon, so, i can't abuse my 2 day shipping. And with it directly corresponding to my laptop, i can download more anime and movies on it in minutes, (and wait forever to download). If you guys need pictures, HMU. Model numbers, etc, i got it. Any help is appreciated. I'm lost here. So, i look forward to figuring this out.

_- Grandeur Trash -_

Solution
As I understand your post:

1) Write off the laptop. Good chance that it is physically damaged so set it aside and tinker with it some rainy boring day but never count on the laptop being truly workable or trustworthy.

2) You might be able to salvage the drive from the laptop and put the drive into use via an external USB housing or as a second drive in a desktop. Again the drive may not be trustworthy so do not use the drive as the single backup location for any data.

3) I have found that connecting external HDD/SSD drives, or USB flash drives via the router's USB port can slow my network. (Linksys WRT1900ac router. Stopped using the port quite some time ago and have not taken the time to investigate or otherwise experiment with...

Ralston18

Titan
As I understand your post:

1) Write off the laptop. Good chance that it is physically damaged so set it aside and tinker with it some rainy boring day but never count on the laptop being truly workable or trustworthy.

2) You might be able to salvage the drive from the laptop and put the drive into use via an external USB housing or as a second drive in a desktop. Again the drive may not be trustworthy so do not use the drive as the single backup location for any data.

3) I have found that connecting external HDD/SSD drives, or USB flash drives via the router's USB port can slow my network. (Linksys WRT1900ac router. Stopped using the port quite some time ago and have not taken the time to investigate or otherwise experiment with the USB port for storage purposes. Do occasionally connect a USB flash drive when moving data around for whatever reasons. Once finished, I remove the flash drive.)

4) And remember that you can purchase external HDD/SSD drive cases that connect to the router via a network port using an Ethernet cable. More expensive but may provide you with a straightforward way to save anime and movies accordingly.

Solution