HP Unveils Consumer-Priced 3D Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting.
I remember my dad's first flat bed scanner was 75DPI, to be followed just 3 years later with one that would do 1200dpi.
I wonder if this '3D' is just a bunch of pictures like the rotate view on Newegg, or if it is an actual 3D object.

G

@caedenv

i got a feeling it's more a front, left, right, back, top and bottom kind of affair....

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Absolutely, it is photo based and a fixed 3D rotation movie effect. Read again. But it is a tool for eBay business or for an electronic catalog of real objects.

But also I agree with you and I want a low cost 3D scanner that produces a 3D virtual mesh for my personal and commercial use. Come on HP! The low cost 3D printer is also a welcome.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
it is just a angle view tool, it doesn't actually make a 3D model of the item as it doesn't record the data needed to gain accurate depth.

It is basically spending a ton of money for a low quality camera that will take a few angles for you.

It is easier to just get a quality camera and take the different angles your self.

Also it wont be at the quality of what is done at newegg.

What thece companies use are light boxes where you have a box made entirely of transparent diffuser material and a white backdrop that is spread smoothly so that there are no sharp angles.

You then use a DSLR in full manual mode, then adjust all needed settings.

Under a decent 6500k lighting, the white background will have no visible depth and it will remove the need to photoshop out the background (which is very time consuming especially if you need to do like 100 new products).

G

It probably wouldn't work like scanning a model car and have it in a 3D model format on the PC?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
the moment the 3d printer comes out, i will be making and selling awesome models on ebay.

you have to know that even if it comes out in 3d, its colorless, i happen to be REALLY good at model painting.

the printer will cost 1000$ the models will cost 10-20$ in ink like material, and painting will be 50$ a model charge. for 100$ total. 10 models later, or 1 month, and im at least in the black for a hobby of mine.

valu3hunt3r

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the moment the 3d printer comes out, i will be making and selling awesome models on ebay.you have to know that even if it comes out in 3d, its colorless, i happen to be REALLY good at model painting.the printer will cost 1000$ the models will cost 10-20$ in ink like material, and painting will be 50$ a model charge. for 100$ total. 10 models later, or 1 month, and im at least in the black for a hobby of mine.[/citation]

You will have to make some really unique models to prevent copyright infringement on other peoples work (sorry that means no models of movie franchise items or you'll end up with something like this - https://torrentfreak.com/paramount-cease-and-desist-targets-3d-printer-pirate-110628/ ) and you will also have to move very quickly before the big toy and product manufacturers cash you out of the business ($100 per model vs $1 [being generous there] cost price per unit for the China/etc sweatshops that can output 1000 units for the time you spend on 1 unit would price out out of the market before you even started).

I suggest you try to modify one of these into a replicator, no need to worry about wasting time and effort on making and selling 3D objects or slaving at work for a paycheck (and keep it secret, that thing would start a war).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts