3ggshell

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
I bought an hp pavilion desktop about two years ago, and have finally gotten around to building my own computer. The problem is, that when i got the hp, it didn't come with xp discs, only a set of 9 recovery discs that it asks u to make. I made those discs. So right now i have my new computer built with everything new except for the ram and the hard drive. When i start it up, it goes through the whole bios and boot up sequence, but right when it is supposed to start up windows, it flashes a blue screen of death and restarts the boot sequence. I have narrowed it down to be a problem with the hard drive, and most likely the drivers on it, because i can still get safe mode to work, jus not "regular" mode. Using the recovery discs would be useless because it would still have all those proprietary hp drivers and crap. Does anyone know of a way to get around this or any way i can start up my computer.
Here are my specs:
windows xp sp2
abit kn8 mobo
athlon 64 x2 3800
evga 7800gt
1gb ram (2 x 512 {two generic brands})
samsung dvd burner
old hp 160gb hard drive
500w psu

Thanks in advance

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You can't use the old harddrive with the HP XP on it. Too dramatic a change in hardware. And, you're right, the recovery discs won't help you.
XP is only good on one computer (or something VERY similar). You can thank all the piracy that went on for M$ to implement the XP protocols.

You are going to have to purchase a fresh XP, wipe out your drive, and start over. Better yet, get a new drive as Master; put your old drive as Slave. Install the new XP on the new drive, do all the updates and SP's; then reinstall the programs that you use (you may have to buy some). That is the tough break when one purchases a pre-loaded proprietary comp. It will become the "C" drive, and the old will be the "D". This way you can still pull data and documents from the old.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's not entirely true, but mostly right.

The thing is, this is quite clearly an OEM version of WinXP, meaning that the software license is tied directly to a single platform of hardware. Legally, you're not allowed to use that software on any other hardward. And, as noted, realisticly it becomes tricky too. :lol:

However, in theory, if you build your own system and/or upgrade your own OS buy buying the retail version of Windows, that version is legally (and relatively easily) transferable to another PC. It's not tied down to a single system. (Though it still would be illegal to actually use it on two PCs simultaneously, and slightly difficult to do, without cracking, since M$ uses those nasty activation keys.)

But yeah, ultimately, the only solution to that mess is to either go totally illegal, or totally straight. Personally, I'd suggest straight. :lol: :lol: :lol:

riser

Illustrious
Actually, you can install XP twice I'm fairly sure. You can install it once on your desktop, once on your laptop. I'm fairly sure all microsot products do this. It's different for businesses though, since they tend to do VLK or programs instead of purchase individually.

But everyone's right, he'd have to go right or wrong. The wrong way tends to be a pain though.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I know that it's not that way for WinXP OEM because the license is meant to be tied to a specific piece of hardware. A lot of shops won't even sell you the OEM version unless you buy some bit of hardware.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
Everyone here is right, mostly. The problem is the 9 disks he said were a backup, so it will not "load" XP on any other system as a factory install. Just restore it. The OEM XP key only needs an OEM disk (or patch from retail to OEM) which is easily "found". Use the OEM disk, use your key (it will work), and go from there. I guarantee it. It will install on 2 or three systems but NO MORE :). Activate it, just do not register it.