HP vs Compaq notebooks

Mixed. Most anything you find for sale in mass market outlets like Best Buy,
Wal*Mart or Circuit City is likely to be of inferior construction.

HPaq has taken a lot of flak in the business news lately for its lackluster
financial performance. They are making lots of money on printers, losing on
computers. Much of the loss is due to Carly's inability to rationalize two
product lines and name brands. There are still somewhat redundant product and
engineering teams in place, not to mention spare parts, logistics, advertising,
and on and on and on. Sell your HP stock short. The Hewlett family was right
for opposing the merger in the first place... Ben Myers

On 21 Aug 2004 10:18:27 -0700, j0069bond@hotmail.com (James) wrote:

>Are they the same or is one brand better than the other?

On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...

> Mixed. Most anything you find for sale in mass market outlets like Best Buy,
> Wal*Mart or Circuit City is likely to be of inferior construction.

ACK.
But HP workstations are still state-of-the-art, although somewhat
overmarketed (XW4200 and 8200) - 16gigs of RAM in a PC just don't make
sense and besides, they're not even useable (apart from the lack of req'd
memory modules).

> HPaq has taken a lot of flak in the business news lately for its lackluster
> financial performance. They are making lots of money on printers, losing on
> computers. Much of the loss is due to Carly's inability to rationalize two
> product lines and name brands. There are still somewhat redundant product and
> engineering teams in place, not to mention spare parts, logistics, advertising,
> and on and on and on. Sell your HP stock short. The Hewlett family was right
> for opposing the merger in the first place... Ben Myers

I agree. A quick sidenote on your thoughts:
On the 2003 Cebit in Hannover, Germany, HP has an enormous appearance. One
guy immediately approached me when I was having a look at his HPaq laptops.
But it was not the enormous computational power that made me wonder, it was
the sheer size of those monsters. Nearly 2 inches in height when Samsung
impressed everyone with the smallest Centrino laptop around. The guy even
promoted this size as feature because you could change the modules sticking
out on top of the screen and add wireless network or bluetooth
capabilities...
At that moment I wondered what MiniPCI is for...

HP has to change very fundamental things.

I probably should have stated:

Mixed. Most any BRAND, including HPaq, you find for sale in US mass market
outlets like Best Buy, Wal*Mart or Circuit City is likely to be of inferior
construction, often with less-than the best electronic components. But, you get
what you pay for... Ben Myers